Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Cookistador
Helper II
Helper II

Data access and Direct Query?

Hello,

I am working on a tableau migration, and the IT Sec would like to have the same beahaviour that the one they have in tableau:

if a user does not have access to the sql database, they are not allowed to see the reports visuals...

So according to this prerequisites, I can forget Import mode, so I would like to know if Direct query can meet this expaction? 

Is it possible to set up the direct query to use the users credetials to execute the query?

For the moment, I set up a data gateway but in the near future, they will use Azure sql database

Many thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Miszel8
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

the short answer is yes:

you need to make use of this option:

Miszel8_0-1712139269855.png

you can learn more here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-azure-sql-database-with-direct-conne...

The long answer is: you should not go in the direction of DQ Only because it used to be like this in Tableau!

You can make the use of your security broader for example: create some Entra ID groups, who can both have the access to the SQL DB and have the access to the given PBI Workspacs/apps using this SQL DB as the data source.

You can also think about RLS/OLS in your PBI Semantic Models if it's needed.

In long run it is less expensive to setup the proper security at the begining of your migration and use Import Mode than move directly to Direct Query.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Miszel8
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

the short answer is yes:

you need to make use of this option:

Miszel8_0-1712139269855.png

you can learn more here: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-azure-sql-database-with-direct-conne...

The long answer is: you should not go in the direction of DQ Only because it used to be like this in Tableau!

You can make the use of your security broader for example: create some Entra ID groups, who can both have the access to the SQL DB and have the access to the given PBI Workspacs/apps using this SQL DB as the data source.

You can also think about RLS/OLS in your PBI Semantic Models if it's needed.

In long run it is less expensive to setup the proper security at the begining of your migration and use Import Mode than move directly to Direct Query.

Good luck!

My first idea was to use Import mode and set up all the security with workspace(one workspace per team) but the data are highly sensitive and they want to avoid all data leak...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors