Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BigJhon
Frequent Visitor

Credentials for web conection are invalid (custom conector for sharepoint)

So, yeah, another one about sharepoint and credentials. I searched the forum and the web in the last two days and couldnt find anything that could help me.

I have a report that reads data from a SharePoint list, and the client asked me to add two pieces of information that I couldnt find using the connectors available in Power Query: the comments and versions of the items. So, I made two custom connectors using Web.Contents() and Relative Patch to get this information dynamically from this list.

The code is:

let
    CustomFunction = 
    ( List_SP as text, Item_ID as number ) => 
    let
        Source = 
        Xml.Tables(
            Web.Contents(
                SP,
                [RelativePath =  "/_api/web/Lists/getbytitle('" & List_SP & "')/items(" & Text.From(Item_ID) & ")/Comments()"]
                )
            ),
        Navigation = Source{0}[entry],
        Content = Table.SelectColumns(Navigation,{"content"}),
        ExpandContent = 
        Table.ExpandTableColumn(Content, "content", {"http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices/metadata"}, {"content"}),
        ExpandProprierties = Table.ExpandTableColumn(ExpandeContent, "content", {"properties"}, {"properties"}),
        ExpandSchema = Table.ExpandTableColumn(ExpandeProprierties, "properties", {"http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices"}, {"properties"})
    in
        ExpandSchema
in
    CustomFunction

NOTES:
- The SP in the web.contents first argument is a parameter that has the website address  (https://client.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName).

- The other tables use the same parameter as source, but with the standard sharepoint connectors.
- The second function is the same, it only changes the last argument of the relative patch from Comments() to versions.

On the desktop everything works and updates, but in services, the credentials for the web connection are invalid, and I tested all possible combinations, whether or not I ignore the test connection, and nothing works, I receive code 400 with the message

BigJhon_0-1704378096765.png

and when i try to update the credentials, i receive the message

BigJhon_1-1704378275626.png

Ive already tried deleting and publish again the semantic model, changing the privacy levels in the desktop file (combine or ignore), and nothing works.

So, what am I doing wrong or not seeing?

Thanks for the support

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BigJhon
Frequent Visitor

I managed to make it work!

I changed the parameter

from https://client.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName

to https://client.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName/_api.

I deleted the published semantic model, configured on the desktop the credential and privacy as organizational on all connections (web and sharepoint), then republished it, put the web and sharepoint credentials as OAuth2 and privacy as oragnizational and skipped the test connection on web connector, and it worked!!

In other words, all because of a "/_api".

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
BigJhon
Frequent Visitor

I managed to make it work!

I changed the parameter

from https://client.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName

to https://client.sharepoint.com/sites/SiteName/_api.

I deleted the published semantic model, configured on the desktop the credential and privacy as organizational on all connections (web and sharepoint), then republished it, put the web and sharepoint credentials as OAuth2 and privacy as oragnizational and skipped the test connection on web connector, and it worked!!

In other words, all because of a "/_api".

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@aj1973, thanks for reply.

Both topics lead to the same link, which is a code in JQuery, which I was unable to adapt to the M language. They use a JS to make a AJAX request.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@BigJhon

Why don't you try to connect and import data differently ! :

• Get data and use Sharepoint Online List connector and pick 2.0aj1973_0-1704389080554.png

• if created delete all steps and start from Sourceaj1973_2-1704389228414.png

• In Field "Title" filter your Listaj1973_3-1704389363062.png

• In Field "Items" click here to expand all Items(Or choose or Items)aj1973_4-1704389511943.png

• From here you can start your ETL.

Carefull, do the test seperataly(New Query) and don't delete the steps applied already in the original import.

By the way you can add a new Query just to get the Id of the List and its Items(Comment, version,....) and then join it with the id of the list from the original Query in Model(Power BI Desktop) in case you don't want to delete the original Query.

Please let me know how it works out.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

I had already tried to find the versions of the items using 1.0 and 2.0.

In 1.0 there is a version column, but it shows the error below when I try to consult

BigJhon_0-1704395019076.png

In version 2.0, there is no version information.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry, but I don't think you are doing the right way. 1.0 and 2.0 are the versions of the connection and not the version of the Items. Use 2.0 version for connection and for "Items.Version" you should see it next to the title of your List

aj1973_0-1704395906348.png

Please follow my points in my previous reply. Delete all steps that were generated by the connector and filter your List as a first step

You should see something like this after you expand field Items

aj1973_0-1704396352581.png

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

@aj1973 Maybe I expressed myself wrongly.
Using the 2.0 implementation and expanded the items column, it has the current version of the item but not the previous ones, which is what my client wants to see

BigJhon_0-1704397165287.png

Using the custom connector, I can get all versions

BigJhon_1-1704397984892.png

Thanks.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Looks like we don't have the same sharepoint structure. in mine , Versioning of the Item is represented in Item.ID with its date modified

aj1973_0-1704398546850.png

Anyway, you are welcome

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

I think we have the same structure. In this case you have a list with 3 items (Item.ID) and each of them has one version (Items.Version).
Anyway, thanks for trying.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors