Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Amrselim1989
Helper II
Helper II

Cloud Postgre SQL

Hello Guys,

Please i need your help,

i have a cloud postgre sql that i can connect with the power bi desktop with a connecter like putty connector very easily,
but when I publish my report to the power bi service, I can't connect with the gateway to apply auto-refresh...

Any help Please?!!!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

if it's not an Azure cloud then you have to treat it as "on-premise"  and you need to set up a gateway in the same environment  (or in an environment that can see both your Postgresql database and the Azure Service).

View solution in original post

the installed gateway can't be seen

Double and triple check that the connection string is exactly the same between desktop and gateway.  Make sure all on-premise data sources in your pbix are covered by the gateway.  Even the slightest difference will prevent the gateway from being selectable.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Amrselim1989
Helper II
Helper II

Hello Guys,

Please i need your help,

i have a cloud postgre sql that i can connect to a power bi desktop with a connecter like Putty connector very easily,
but when i publish my report to the power bi service, i can't connect with the gateway to apply auto refresh...

Any help Please?!!!

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What type of cloud? Azure?  In that case you may need a VNet gateway, or no gateway.

no sir, it's not azure, it's just postgre sql Cloud service from Germany, i use Putty to connect power bi desktop, but when uploading to the service, i can no longer connect with it, if you please to help me, please we can arrange a zoom meeting to show you if you please.

if it's not an Azure cloud then you have to treat it as "on-premise"  and you need to set up a gateway in the same environment  (or in an environment that can see both your Postgresql database and the Azure Service).

Thank you so much sir, this solution worked for me, it appeared that i must install the connector and the gateway on the same server.

i already can connect to this postgre cloud on a VM that runs 24/7 but only from desktop applications like Excel and Power bi desktop, but when i upload this report to power bi web, the installed gateway can't be seen, i assumed because it's not installed on the same server of the Postgre, but you said " (or in an environment that can see both your Postgresql database and the Azure Service)." that i already have, is there a way to make this gateway visible to power bi web ?!!

the installed gateway can't be seen

Double and triple check that the connection string is exactly the same between desktop and gateway.  Make sure all on-premise data sources in your pbix are covered by the gateway.  Even the slightest difference will prevent the gateway from being selectable.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors