Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

duncfair
Advocate II
Advocate II

Cannot create Gateway Connection

Our company has recently acquired another firm and are in the process of adding them to our network. The new firm has Power BI reports that use on-premises SQL Server datasources that use a SQL Login. I can connect to the data with Power BI desktop (and SQL Server Management Studio), but cannot create a connection in the service so the reports can use one of our Gateways.

error message below:

Unable to create connection for the following reason: SQL Server connection faile

Details: XXXXX-24XXXX01: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Please have this information handy if you choose to create a support ticket. Session Id: ca3149c2-e737-4fce-b006-042a57cf6602 RequestId: 3d7a1487-b8e3-4a30-95f1-bf589f8038a0 Cluster URI: https://api.powerbi.com Status code: 400 Time: Wed Nov 08 2023 07:22:39 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)Please have this information handy if you choose to create a support ticket. Session Id: ca3149c2-e737-4fce-b006-042a57cf6602 Cluster URI: https://api.powerbi.com Time: Wed Nov 08 2023 07:22:39 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On-premises

5 REPLIES 5
v-zhangti
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @duncfair 

This error means that the client can't find the SQL Server instance. This can happen when at least one of the following problems exists:

• The name of the computer hosting the SQL Server instance doesn't resolve the correct IP
  • The TCP port number isn't specified correctly

To learn more detail solution ,refer:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred - SQL Server | Microsoft Learn

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Charlotte

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

It was our corporate firewall.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @duncfair 

Is it possible to try and connect via the IP Address and see if that work successfully? It looks to be an issue with the named pipes connection?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Network Firewall.

Thanks, but definitely not a named pipes issue, as that would negate the possibility of connecting via SQL server Management Studio (and Power BI desktop, I suspect).

It appears to be a networking issue. The network techs have been notified and I will post the results of that investigation here when complete.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors