Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

mow700
Resolver I
Resolver I

Can I read data from DMV views in a report that is published to the service?

Can I read data from DMV views in a report that is published to the service?

I want to retrieve a dataset that contains meta-data about the report I am using. Specifically for now I just want to know some simple details about the internal model of the report:

select [Name], [Version], [ModifiedTime], [StructureModifiedTime] from $SYSTEM.TMSCHEMA_MODEL

I can do this as expected while I am authoring in the PBIDesktop by connecting to the local machine with DAX studio, here is an example result set:

snip_20171011101941.png

I want my report to be "self aware" while it's published to the service, but I can't figure out how to make a connection that I can publish to the service. I was hoping I could create a connection to the service using the new connector (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/connecting-to-datasets-in-the-power-bi-service-from-desktop... ) but I can't figure out how.

Any suggestions experts? I've used this approach against SSAS models in the past with success, I'm hoping to accomplish something similar with PBI models.

2 REPLIES 2
TheBrain

You can get this with "analyze in excel."  from the pivot table that points at your power bi service data source, you can drill through to create a new table, then change that table's query to whatever you want.  Your specific query example worked for me on one of my data sets.

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mow700,

Considering how it(reading DMV data from pbix file) works, I don't think there is a way to read data from DMV views in a report that is published to the service currently. Smiley Happy

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors