Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

VitaliiKhryst
Frequent Visitor

Can I Filter reports using query string parameters in the URL for Power BI APPS multiple reports?

Hi there,

I have multiple reports in my workspace from which I create 1 Power BI APP for different users. All these reports (around 10) that are included in Power BI APP have the same filters/slicers for the customer selection (text type) and date slicers. I understand that for a better user experience it would be good to have 1 master/global filter that will work across different reports, instead of filtering each report separately.

I am wondering whether it is possible to create a "master filter report" and include it in APP and using as a global filter for another report within the APP.

I was able to achieve this with the example from the documentation https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters . But it is still unclear to me, whether I can and how if yes, to use query string parameters in the URL for filtering the data within the app for all reports.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. Something like that. Hiding the default stuff and use custom links like the youtube example with the filter. Of course this is an approach, I'm not sure how set up navigation for the pages of the reports. It might help if the navigation for the report pages is inside the report pages. You might want to test it with a single report or two reports in a workspaces as a test/developer environment.

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. No you can't generate a single App link that will keep the filter for all reports. The URL filter feature is by report. So it will only work for a single report. The only thing I think might do something similar would be building your own navigation links to reports in the app (instead of using the default navigator to reports). The links there can be already be URL modified with filters.

You need to go one by one the links of reaports, add the filter and then build the navigation. That approach might be similar of having a filter for the whole App.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thank you very much for the prompt response. Can you please advise, whether the approach that you proposed is described in this article? https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/designing-custom-navigation-for-power-bi-apps-is-now-availa...

Yes. Something like that. Hiding the default stuff and use custom links like the youtube example with the filter. Of course this is an approach, I'm not sure how set up navigation for the pages of the reports. It might help if the navigation for the report pages is inside the report pages. You might want to test it with a single report or two reports in a workspaces as a test/developer environment.

Regards

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks, I will try this approach

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors