Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mirzay
Helper I
Helper I

Azure Blob source, desktop to service publish, refresh question

Folks, I have a general question to validate if I have an issue or not.

Data source is a file stored as Azure blob, populated by an external process.
I created reports in PowerBI Desktop and I publish reports to the service.

I created dashboards in Service from these reports and all is good.

I replaced files in Azure blob with new values (basically refreshed with fresh data).

In Service, datasets, I manually click refresh on the source, hoping it will refresh the reports.

Data changes are not reflected in reports in service. (I did enter the key in service)

I refresh desktop and I see changes.

Does this mean to refresh, I have to refresh source in desktop every time and republish reports and then refresh the dashboard in service once this is done? I was hoping I can refresh dataset in service for new values to take effect. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mirzay You definately don't need to go refresh in power bi desktop and then republish to refresh in power bi service each time. What you did was correct. There are few of things to consider here.

You can check status of refresh within power bi service by going to settings icon on top right hand corner -> Settings -> Datasets ->Refresh History and check if any errors listed there.

Also your new data from refreshed dataset may take upto 15 mins to appear on your visuals and so better to wait for that period and then check.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@mirzay You definately don't need to go refresh in power bi desktop and then republish to refresh in power bi service each time. What you did was correct. There are few of things to consider here.

You can check status of refresh within power bi service by going to settings icon on top right hand corner -> Settings -> Datasets ->Refresh History and check if any errors listed there.

Also your new data from refreshed dataset may take upto 15 mins to appear on your visuals and so better to wait for that period and then check.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors