Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Valtyr
Advocate I
Advocate I

Azure Analysis Services RLS and Embedding

We would like to embed reports with RLS but I'm starting to get the feeling that is not possible with Analysis Services(both Azure and on premise) using live connection in Power BI.

We started with on-premise analysis service (live connection) but that is not supported according to the following document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-connect-datasource

Therefore, we moved the data to Azure and now we have Azure Analysis Service live connection and would like to embed that with RLS.

We are having problems implementing this and on the following webpage there is a note saying that Analysis Services live connections are not supported:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedded-rls/

Is this really the case and if so when can we expect to embed RLS Power Bi reports with Analysis Service data (live connection)? Is this on the roadmap?

Btw, we are working with big datasets so using import instead of live connection is not really an option for us.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Valtyr
Advocate I
Advocate I

I finally got this to work with PowerBi Embedding and RLS using the followingt instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded-row-level-security#working-with-analysi...

Make sure that you use Customdata DAX funtion to filter the data and also that add an Azure user to the Role:

=INS_TABLE[column] = Customdata()

I used the sample project found here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embed-sample-for-customers#embed-your-content-us...

with the following modification:

// Generate Embed Token for reports without effective identities.
var rls = new EffectiveIdentity("xxxAzureUserName", new List<string> { report.DatasetId }, new List<string>() { "SchoolFiltering" }, "SchoolName");

generateTokenRequestParameters = new GenerateTokenRequest(accessLevel: "view", identities: new List<EffectiveIdentity> { rls });

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

Are all these about only Azure AS or also about on premise AS 2017? The first post said both were tried but that was Oct and in Oct it wasn't ready for RLS, but came out shortly thereafter for changes in the web app. We are using SSAS 2017 on premise because we felt Azure AS didn't have RLS working yet.  We are using AppOwnsData model and have RLS and using live connections to tabular cubes on premise, but we display these through the gateway on Salesforce and it works fine.  Is this only a problem with Azure AS?  It would be good to know as we want to go there, but felt it wasn't ready for prime time yet.

edugp_sp

I have the same issue. Does anyone have any updates about it?

edugp_sp

I have the same issue. Does anyone have any updated about this issue?

footmarks
Regular Visitor

We are experiencing the same issue. When will this be supported?
robrien6
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Im facing exactly the same issue.  Very little support for those paying the most in licencing costs........

cmarquis

Running into the same situation here as well. Trying to use direct query to Azure AS with PowerBI embedded (app owns data) and need to be able to apply RLS.

Is there any timeline on when this will be possible?

alfred1
Frequent Visitor

we are also facing the same issue - thought the future was supposed to be azure, not on-prem.

I'm also very confused about this also.

I can sucessfully embed a report connecting to Azure AS (live connection) using a master account and then generating the embed token using 'GenerateTokenInGroup' (code: https://github.com/guyinacube/Embed-API-Sample).

But when trying to use the Identities property to use RLS I always get this error:

"Creating embed token for accessing dataset a5fc8daa-a34b-48b3-85fc-d76d0e21a8db requries effective identity username to be identical to the caller's principal name”

I dont know if it's a limitation around Power BI Embed + Azure AS or if it is somekind of configuration issue.

Thanks

I'm facing with the same issue as @ruiromano is.

Thanks

Eric_Zhang
Employee
Employee

@Valtyr wrote:

We would like to embed reports with RLS but I'm starting to get the feeling that is not possible with Analysis Services(both Azure and on premise) using live connection in Power BI.

We started with on-premise analysis service (live connection) but that is not supported according to the following document:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/power-bi-embedded/power-bi-embedded-connect-datasource

Therefore, we moved the data to Azure and now we have Azure Analysis Service live connection and would like to embed that with RLS.

We are having problems implementing this and on the following webpage there is a note saying that Analysis Services live connections are not supported:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-developer-embedded-rls/

Is this really the case and if so when can we expect to embed RLS Power Bi reports with Analysis Service data (live connection)? Is this on the roadmap?

Btw, we are working with big datasets so using import instead of live connection is not really an option for us.

@Valtyr

The limitation in the second link is specific for the Embedding with non-Power BI users (app owns data). For the other embeding feature Embedding with Power BI users (users own data), the RLS shall work . The main difference between those embedding feature is on license aspect.  If you prefer live connection, use the latter approach to embed.

I've spent so much time trying to get this to work for 'app owns' data before realizing it is not possible. Can you please confirm that RLS will work with live connection azure reports if I use the 'user owns' data method?

@Eric_Zhang

Thanks for the reply @Eric_Zhang.

I disagree that this is only a matter of licensing. It is quite inconvenient for our users to have to log into power bi when they want to access the reports. The reason why we are looking into embedding is to avoid this.

Will RLS with direct analysis services (app owns data) will be supported any time soon? This is quite urgent matter and I would guess that there are a lot of companies in the same situation as we are. 

Oulak
Frequent Visitor

I concur with @Valtyr; this feature is also critical and an urgent matter for us to go forward with our PBI Embedded project.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors