Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

App users cannot export underlying data

Hi all,

We distribute our reports mainly through workspace apps. Now although all the settings (in the Service and Desktop) allow it, end users who only have access to the reports through the app cannot export underlying data (the option is greyed-out).

I have even tested with a user who had access through the workspace - he could export the underlying data - by retracting his workspace access, so he only had access through the app, and then he suddenly couldn't export the underlying data.

This is the case for multiple reports in different workspaces.

Does anybody know what is the cause of this? And perhaps even more important: How to fix it?

7 REPLIES 7
alexcook
Frequent Visitor

The only way I found to enable users to export underlying data (after enabling it on the PBIX of course) was to upgrade them from "Viewers" of the workspace to "Members". Couldn't find this anywhere in the docs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help @GilbertQ and @v-xicai, we have tested some more and the only way we found to allow end users to export underlying data was by giving them build permissions.

I will create an idea for this.

Thanks for letting us know and it does sorta make sense, because to export the data you need to have the permissions to export vs just reading the App.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is true. For us it wasn't a big issue, we discussed the impact with the data owner and they accepted the consequences of exposing the dataset to all end users.

However, when working with larger datasets or with more sensitive data I do see the need to split the option to export underlying data from visuals from granting full build permissions.

v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

There are several points you may considerate:

1.Please check make sure you've enabled the option under setting.

88.png

2.Underlying data option is available in Power BI service when the visualization in a report has an aggregate (one example would be if you changed Count to average, sum or minimum), you probably need the aggregate column to work on it.

3.You may download the pbix file, reopen in Power BI Desktop, enable "Allow end users to export both summarized and underlying data from the service" option from the Power BI desktop.

89.png

4.Export using Underlying data will not work if the data source is an Analysis Services live connection and the version is older than 2016 and the tables in the model do not have a unique key.

Export using Underlying data will not work if the Show items with no data option is enabled for the visualization being exported.

You can also refer to the document: https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/power-bi/visuals/power-bi-visualization-export-data.

Best Regards,

Amy

Community Support Team _ Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

This worked for me perfectly. 

Thanks

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

As far as I can currently see there is no option for users who consume via an App to export the data.

My understanding would be that because the App is read-only that they can view the data and read it but not export anything.

If you would like this to be changed there is certainly an idea on https://ideas.powerbi.com

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors