Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

FipaFAN
Frequent Visitor

Allowing data download to public users

Hi,

I would like end users (all public and external to the organization) to be able to download the underlying datasets.

Now i know this is not possible under Power Bi Publish to web, and through Power bi embedded the user has to be given access to the report.

My question is if there are any solutions or workarounds to this, where automatically public users are given access to a report and are able to download the underlying data from it....

I am reading about allowing access to the report perhaps  through Azure b2b, and creating a self-sign-up for users e.g. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/external-identities/self-service-sign-up-ov...

But I am so far unable to test this to see if it works.

Any suggestions are most welcome!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Power BI is not the best tool for that. Use a proper web server for the downloads.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
nmestvirishvili
Frequent Visitor

Hello, Can you tell me if this problem is solved or not? Is there now possibility of exporting data (excel) from a published Power BI dashboard for external, public users who are not Power BI users?

Thanks in advance

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

I would like end users (all public and external to the organization) to be able to download the underlying datasets.

That's not a thing.  Do you mean "connect to the underlying dataset" ?  Datasets are usually comprised of multiple data sources linked together in a data model.  The concept of "download" does not apply.

What are you expecting the users to do with the dataset once they have access?

Hi, 

No i mean "export data" as one could if they were a tenant and had access rights to the report. 

The idea is to have a visualizer of all the data, and also allow all persons to export the underlying datasets for use in their own analysis. (it is public information of red-tides/harmful algal blooms- the idea is for it to be available to the public to visualize and also for scientists/students/other members of the public to be able to export the data and use it). 

The only way i see this being an option is that users external to the organisation needs to be added as a tenant and then they would be able to export the underlying data. 

Power BI is not the best tool for that. Use a proper web server for the downloads.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors