Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataSpace
Helper I
Helper I

Governance Guidelines for Power BI users, specially for self service models

User base is huge and most of the users has access to releted PBI self service models, on top of which they can create the reports and publish.

These reports sometimes wrong/messy, published with heavy data load, and negatively impacts overall performance when it get published.

Do we have list of guidelines to put governance in place for PBI users to maintain it in streamline way?

Users have access to serf service PBI model. How can we restrict users to -

1. use specifics visuals to create PBI reports?

2. use specific tables to access data from self service PBI model?

3. create report greater than the size of size limit?

Any comment/help is much appreciated..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DataSpace ,

As for Power BI Governance Guidelines,you may refer to :Power BI Governance: Best Practices for Data Security - Monocroft

Power BI doesn’t provide a direct way to restrict users to specific visuals. However, you can provide training and guidelines to your users about which visuals to use.
You can manage user access at the data source level. If you want users to only access specific tables, you can set up your data source accordingly.
Power BI has built-in limitations on the size of the data models. For Power BI Pro, the data model can be up to 1 GB, and for Power BI Premium, it can be up to 10 GB. You can’t directly prevent users from creating reports that exceed these limits, but you can monitor usage and work with users who regularly exceed these limits to optimize their reports.

Implementing Data Governance in Power BI: A Step-by-Step Guide | by Lawrence Teixeira | Medium

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

View solution in original post

Miszel8
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'll start with directly answering your questions:

1. You cannot - you can only limit the options of using the custom/third party visuals.

2. You can apply the RLS or OLS in your semantic models, or you can reasonably split your semantic models.

3. You cannot simply block it.

I understand you are going for the Managed Self-Service operational mode.

I would suggest:

- putting in place Report Certification - once the report hits a givern number of Weekly Active Users, or the VIP users you it can go through the Certification process i which someone from the BI department audits the reports, lists all the points to be addressed and once the point are addressed the report becomes certified. It can also be centrallized

- If you're going for the centralization of the reports you can employ the rule - all not centrallized objects are deleted from PBI Tenant's if nor used in the last XXX months.

- Regular clean up of the unused objects -> you would like to avoid having 30 different Weekly Sales reports

- Monitoring of the reports, someone had an idea that "Self-Service" == Low Cost, which is untrue -> you will need a person becoming at least partially PBI Administrator and checking regularly what's happening with the reports help the users to keep the limited number of objects, run the archival process

- Monitor the RLS assignemnts and access rights

- You should start to monitor the PBI Tenant's settings -> Microsft releases the new settings frequently, most of them are enabled by defult for the organization -> it can cause you some troubles especially if you are running the Self-Service over the dedicated capacitites

You can also check the solution like this one: https://github.com/AstralForest/Power_BI_Monitoring to actively monitor everthying what's happening in your PBI Tenant.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Miszel8
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I'll start with directly answering your questions:

1. You cannot - you can only limit the options of using the custom/third party visuals.

2. You can apply the RLS or OLS in your semantic models, or you can reasonably split your semantic models.

3. You cannot simply block it.

I understand you are going for the Managed Self-Service operational mode.

I would suggest:

- putting in place Report Certification - once the report hits a givern number of Weekly Active Users, or the VIP users you it can go through the Certification process i which someone from the BI department audits the reports, lists all the points to be addressed and once the point are addressed the report becomes certified. It can also be centrallized

- If you're going for the centralization of the reports you can employ the rule - all not centrallized objects are deleted from PBI Tenant's if nor used in the last XXX months.

- Regular clean up of the unused objects -> you would like to avoid having 30 different Weekly Sales reports

- Monitoring of the reports, someone had an idea that "Self-Service" == Low Cost, which is untrue -> you will need a person becoming at least partially PBI Administrator and checking regularly what's happening with the reports help the users to keep the limited number of objects, run the archival process

- Monitor the RLS assignemnts and access rights

- You should start to monitor the PBI Tenant's settings -> Microsft releases the new settings frequently, most of them are enabled by defult for the organization -> it can cause you some troubles especially if you are running the Self-Service over the dedicated capacitites

You can also check the solution like this one: https://github.com/AstralForest/Power_BI_Monitoring to actively monitor everthying what's happening in your PBI Tenant.

Many thanks for your great and to-the-point suggestions/comments @Miszel8 . It really helps.

v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @DataSpace ,

As for Power BI Governance Guidelines,you may refer to :Power BI Governance: Best Practices for Data Security - Monocroft

Power BI doesn’t provide a direct way to restrict users to specific visuals. However, you can provide training and guidelines to your users about which visuals to use.
You can manage user access at the data source level. If you want users to only access specific tables, you can set up your data source accordingly.
Power BI has built-in limitations on the size of the data models. For Power BI Pro, the data model can be up to 1 GB, and for Power BI Premium, it can be up to 10 GB. You can’t directly prevent users from creating reports that exceed these limits, but you can monitor usage and work with users who regularly exceed these limits to optimize their reports.

Implementing Data Governance in Power BI: A Step-by-Step Guide | by Lawrence Teixeira | Medium

Best regards.
Community Support Team_Caitlyn

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors