Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kwarre35
Helper I
Helper I

Admin Rest API Datasets GetDatasetsAsAdmin - upstreamDataflows column outputs all nulls

Hello, 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/admin/datasets-get-datasets-as-admin

I am using the Rest API Datasets GetDatasetsAsAdmin sample request to return some data, However the column "upstreamDataflows" are returning all nulls. Is there a way to populate this so I can see my upstream dataflows for each dataset?

Kwarre35_0-1683653696324.png

4 REPLIES 4
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Kwarre35 ,

For the API's to come back to you you will have to have permissions to each of those workspaces that house the dataflows.  Basically, to write effective API reports that get "everything" for your organization, you have to make yourself an admin/user on each and every workspace.  You can get some "metadata" type stuff but you can't "reach in" and get the data within the Workspaces without being a user in them.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Hi @collinq,

Thanks for engaging and the ideas. 

I am a Power BI Service Admin for my org and I have been able to produce a "service-able" data model with Admin API Calls without assignming myself access to each and every Workspace, of course it could always be better. My question is more specific to that 1 API call, which feels like false advertising, or maybe I am doing something wrong. 

If there is a column called "Upstreamdataflows", why is it not populating? All of the other columns are populating as expected from the API Call. WorkspaceId, DatasetId, Dataset Name, Dataset Created Date, etc. 

Reading between the lines on your logic and applying to my situation, I do have access to the Workspaces that have upstream dataflows, and I have access to the workspaces with datasets that are built from those upstream dataflows I am trying to return, so that shouldn't be the show stopper here. 

Hey @Kwarre35 ,

I am not sure why that wouldn't be populating.  Are you able to run this API call by itself and get any result? Admin - Dataflows GetUpstreamDataflowsInGroupAsAdmin - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) | Micr...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

@collinq Yes Sir! I was able to use this API Admin - Datasets GetDatasetToDataflowsLinksInGroupAsAdmin - REST API (Power BI Power BI REST APIs) |...
and pick and choose the select workspaces to retrieve my upstreamdataflows... its a limited workaround for now, but not great when I oversee 400 workspaces and growing, but we are trying to organize dataflows in a limted number of staging workspaces for better wide-scale visibility and use in multiple reporting workspaces. 

Kwarre35_0-1684345233556.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors