Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DerMainzer
Resolver I
Resolver I

Report Builder Textfield multiple values

Hey,

I'm sure this is an easy one for you, but it's my first day with report builder:

I defined a parameter vor Names as e Text Value. I defined: Leave empty "" and the values come from a simple table with Names as you can see in the drop down.

The problems are:

1. Whatever I choose in the drop down the Report says #Error

2. If Í don't choose anything the Report Builder forces me to choose

REPORT.jpg

I have no idea what to do

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you very much and have a great weekend

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@DerMainzer wrote:

1. Whatever I choose in the drop down the Report says #Error

This is because when you turn on the multiple values option the parameter returns an array instead of a single scalar value.

So instead of just referencing the parameter directly 

eg.

=Parameters!ReportParameter1.Value

You need to right click on the text box which is showing #Error then edit the expression to wrap the parameter reference in the Join() function. 

eg.

=Join(Parameters!ReportParameter1.Value,",")

@DerMainzer wrote:

2. If Í don't choose anything the Report Builder forces me to choose

If you want to allow people to run the report without selecting a value you need to configure a default value and you will also need to add this default value to your allowed values.

Hi,

thanks for your help - the Join did work.

Unfortunately the default value I typed in doesn't show up, I think it's because it's not a value from the list the parameter is pointing at, right?. I also don't understand why there is a check box for "accept empty value" if it doesn't work....

DerMainzer_0-1678950271982.png

Thanks again,

Tim

@DerMainzer wrote:

Unfortunately the default value I typed in doesn't show up, I think it's because it's not a value from the list the parameter is pointing at, right?

Yes, unfortunately once you specify an allowed list then only values from that list are accepted. If you don't have an allowed list the user can type any text they like, but then you loose the multiple items option.

@DerMainzer wrote:

I also don't understand why there is a check box for "accept empty value" if it doesn't work....

It's conflicting with the Allowed Values property. If you also had an empty string as an allowed value it would work.

Thank you very much and have a great weekend

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.