Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Promethes_2
Helper II
Helper II

oData Filter Question

Hello,

I'm trying to solve the following issue. I have 2 entities, Sales and SalesLines.  Due to the size of the SalesLines entity, I need to filter SalesLines to only the last 90 days of transactions (otherwise the Power BI service fails to refresh the entity data).  However the SalesLines entity does not have a date field, but is related to the Sales entity by TransactionNumber [Sales[TransactionNumber] -> SalesLine[TransactionNumber] )1 to Many).

I filter the Sales entity by transaction date like this (which works):

= OData.Feed("https://MyDataFeed.com/data/Sales?$filter=TransactionDate ge  2017-06-01"

But I can't seem to determine how then to dynanically filter the SalesLines to only the transactionnumbers in the sales entity.  The odata doesn't have an IN function.  Is there a way to accomplish this?

This is basically what I'm after but not certain if it's possible?

= OData.Feed("https://MyDataFeed.com/data/SalesLines?$filter=TransactionDate IN Sales[TransactionNumber]"

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Could you bring in all of the SalesLines but do a Merge with your Sales table on TransactionNumber, discarding any unmatched TransactionNumbers?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Unfortunately no becuse the Power BI service won't bring in the entire SalesLine entity.  It fails so my thought for a work around was to filter down from the odata url the total data coming into Power BI.

Why not:

= OData.Feed("https://MyDataFeed.com/data/SalesLine?$filter=TransactionDate ge  2017-06-01"

?

Latest book!:

Because SalesLines does not contain a transaction date.  It is related to the Sales table by Transaction Number.  Basically the Sales table is the header table and the SalesLines table is the lines related to the Sales table.

Example:

Sales Entity: TransactionNumber 1, TransactionDate 2017-01-01

SalesLines: TransactionNumber 1, Line 1, TransactionNumber 1, Line 2, TransactionNumber 1, Line 3.

I can filter Sales entity but need the related TransactionNumbers from SalesLines.

Ah, your original post was misleading me. That second OData link should have been TransactionNumber IN... instead of TransactionDate IN... Got it.

Are your TransactionNumbers sequential? Could you potentially grab the min and feed that into the filter?

Latest book!:

Oops, typo on my part, apologies.  Unfortunately the TransactionNumbers are random so to speak so I can't do that.  It really doesn't seem like I can accomplish this but wanted thoughts before I call it quits on this strategy.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors