Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Haonan
Frequent Visitor

how to get column names dynamically when expanding tables?

Hi everyone,

I have a table like this, and i want to expand the column "Datei transformieren"

Screenshot 2022-07-09 145007.png

When I click to expand the code it looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-07-09 145229.png

Now I want to use codes to get the column names dynamically to prevent column name changes or errors when new column names appear, how can i do that?

I've tried the code like this:

Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Andere entfernte Spalten1", "Datei transformieren", Table.ColumnNames(#"Andere entfernte Spalten1"{0}[Datei transformieren]))

But then I can only get some of the column names and not all of them, because each table has  different column names.

Screenshot 2022-07-09 151229.png

Maybe there are some codes to replace that big list of column names above?

Thanks a lot!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

4 REPLIES 4
ChandeepChhabra
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Problem Solved. Thanks a lot!

miguel
Community Admin
Community Admin

While it is technically possible, it is quite a resource expensive approach to read all the headers from all the tables to then create a custom list of headers that you might want to expand.

You can try and leverage an approach that uses the following functions:

• Table.Column
    • You can use this function to extract the column where you have the table values from your table and then have a list of tables that you can use with List functions
  • List.Transform
    • This is a common List function to help you transform the values inside of a list based on your specific logic
  • Table.ColumnNames
    • This is a function that effectively extracts the column names from your table and the output is a list of strings (the strings being the column names)
  • List.Combine
    • Similarly to how the "Append" operation works to combine multiple tables (it uses Table.Combine behind the scenes), List.Combine "Appends" lists into a single list
  • List.Distinct
    • Once you have the values of all list of columns into a single list, you will end up with a lot of duplicate names for the column names. This function will help you get rid of the duplicates

There are other approaches, but they depend on what your requirements. I'm sharing the links below as other approaches that I've used throughout the years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPWnPAhQEiQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omu-sjzNO44

Hope this puts you in the right path!

Haonan
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your answer

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors