Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

simmi21
Frequent Visitor

When connecting to a csv source, data shows wrongly encoded

Dear team, 

I have been using csv source for many of my reports untill today for one of the csv file, I am getting encoded data. I read online about the data having special characters could cause some problem but all values are within "" plus it is semi colon dxelimitted files but power BI or rather power query is not recognizing as a delimitter. Here is how it is coming. Any clue what settings I need to change to get this in readable format ? 

simmi21_0-1641216895698.png

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @simmi21 ,

When testing with the sample data you have provided, seems like it works fine in Power BI:

vyingjl_0-1641448679792.png

The .txt file also works:

vyingjl_1-1641448708622.png

Perhaps you can re-create a txt file with data to try to connect it in Power BI to check, then change to .csv file to re-connect to check it again.

If the data just show one column in the navigator, you can click transform data and split by delimiter as @ AlexisOlson manually, use the first row as the header.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jennratten
Super User
Super User

When you open the CSV file with Excel or a text editor, do you see the unencoded data?

yes, now its is unencoded but all in one column, the delimtter (which in my case is a semicolon ) is not working. This is how it is coming now :

simmi21_0-1641381111032.png

Can you please try importing with these same settings (snip below) and click Transform even though you only see the data in one column - then post a snip of what appears in the formula bar for the Source step?

jennratten_0-1641480188007.png

The arugments specified in this line can make a difference.  I have listed some examples below.  Can you also paste your sample data into a text editor, save as CSV, import into Power BI and show us what result you get?  This will help narrow the possibilities.

Csv.Document(File.Contents({{FilePath}}),[Delimiter=",", Encoding=1252])

jennratten_1-1641480390659.png

Csv.Document(File.Contents({{FilePath}}),[Delimiter=";", Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])

jennratten_2-1641480523004.png

You should be able to split the column in the query editor even if you load it as a single column.

Perhaps what looks like a semicolon is not a semicolon, but another character that appears similar. Can you please examine the characters to ascertain exactly what the character code is?  You can do this in Excel with the UNICODE function; or using a Hex editor on the file.

simmi21
Frequent Visitor

I tried to play around with the regional settings and here is how it looks, good news I don't see the encoding but still it is not delimitted the way it should. 

simmi21_0-1641380154802.png

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

The settings to change have to do with the File Origin box.  But without knowing anything more about your csv file than the screenshot you shared, it's not possible to tell you how to change it.  

You could try a trial and error approach; or you could provide more information about the csv file.

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

Can you provide a CSV sample (keep it small and cut out anything sensitive) that we can reproduce this with?

Here how the sample data looks 

Period (months);"Vehicle Units";"Vehicle Build Region";"Vehicle Brand";"Vehicle Model (CA)";"Price Class";"Vehicle Dev.-Code";"Version";"Period (quarters)";"Period (semester)";"Period";"Market Volume";"Region";"Global Region";"Planning Region";"Customer";"Customer Group";"Vehicle Model ";"Region (sales)";"Global Region (sales)";"Planning Region (Sales)";"Division";"Vehicle Segment";"Vehicle Model";"Conti Volume";"Article Code";"Article Description";"efg";"Sales";"Production Plant";"Rim"
1;4173;"CHINA";"abc";"qwer";;"abc;"2021 FC 00+12";"Q1";"H1";"2021-01-01";205;"CHINA";"APAC";"CHINA";"CHINESE OEM OTHER";"CHINESE OEM";"SEV00h";"CHINA";"APAC";"CHINA";"xyz";"";"";0;"";"";0;0;"";""                               
1;27873;"INDIA";"pqr";"rewq";;"abc";"2021 FC 00+12";"Q1";"H1";"2021-01-01";139;"INDIA";"APAC";"INDIA";"OTHER KEY ACCOUNTS";"OTHER KEY ACCOUNTS";"DOST";"INDIA";"APAC";"INDIA";"xyz";"";"";0;"";"";0;0;"";""                              

Hi @simmi21 ,

When testing with the sample data you have provided, seems like it works fine in Power BI:

vyingjl_0-1641448679792.png

The .txt file also works:

vyingjl_1-1641448708622.png

Perhaps you can re-create a txt file with data to try to connect it in Power BI to check, then change to .csv file to re-connect to check it again.

If the data just show one column in the navigator, you can click transform data and split by delimiter as @ AlexisOlson manually, use the first row as the header.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Paulien_
Frequent Visitor

Could you try changing the "File Origin" to 1200 instead of 1252?

Nope, doesn't help.

simmi21_0-1641218559822.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors