Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Reply
BettinaO
New Member

Textfilter in Power Query do not work randomly

I have the problem from time to time that simple text filters in Power Query do not work. Just to be clear: I work a lot with PowerBI and usually it works as intended, but now I have a file where I'm not able to text-filter any of the tables and I have experienced this behavior before.
No error, everything looks fine, but the data just won't be filterd. Sometimes it works if I try again a few days later.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? Any idea how to solve this?

Textfilter.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I have found a way to solve the Problem:

 

It works if you set the datatype to text manually (even if the datatype which was automatically set already is text! (as you see in the screenshot above)). This seems to make a difference.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jaweher899
Super User
Super User

This behavior can be caused by a number of factors, including data source issues, data type mismatches, incorrect filter syntax, and more. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

  1. Check data types: Make sure the column you're trying to filter is of the text data type. If not, change the data type.

  2. Verify the filter syntax: Make sure the filter syntax is correct.

  3. Refresh data source: Try refreshing the data source and see if it resolves the issue.

  4. Remove and re-add the filter: Remove the filter and then add it back again to see if that fixes the issue.

  5. Restart Power Query: Close Power Query and then open it again to see if that fixes the issue.

  6. Try filtering a smaller subset of the data: If the data source is large, try filtering a smaller subset of the data to see if that resolves the issue.

  7. Try using a different method of filtering: If the text filter is not working, try using a different method of filtering such as a conditional column.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may need to troubleshoot further by reviewing the data source, logs, and so on.

I have found a way to solve the Problem:

 

It works if you set the datatype to text manually (even if the datatype which was automatically set already is text! (as you see in the screenshot above)). This seems to make a difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Bettina, your solution just worked for me too. Even though the column was of a number type, it just wouldn't filter zero. Once I manually  set type to number - worked .

 

Must be a bug

 

Thank you 

 

 

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors