Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Adam13Hylo
Helper I
Helper I

SharePoint Minimum Permissions

Hi all, 

Just wondering if anyone can help me please. What is the minimum permissions required in order to use SharePoint as a data source, can a user have read permissions to a SharePoint Online list and still be able to connect to this as a data source using Power BI desktop?

Thanks! 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Anonymous
Not applicable

Read permissions is all you need

View solution in original post

v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Adam13Hylo

Testing on my site,It is possible to connect to Sharepoint resources with read permission in Power BI.

Admin-Office 365 Admin

User A- has a Power BI Pro account which is belong to the organization as Admin does

In Sharepoint online, Admin change the permission for User A as Read permission to the Home site,

User A can connect to the lists from that site (with only read permission) in Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards

Maggie

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Adam13Hylo

Testing on my site,It is possible to connect to Sharepoint resources with read permission in Power BI.

Admin-Office 365 Admin

User A- has a Power BI Pro account which is belong to the organization as Admin does

In Sharepoint online, Admin change the permission for User A as Read permission to the Home site,

User A can connect to the lists from that site (with only read permission) in Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Read permissions is all you need

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors