Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WYSE595

Search for specific text and return one result

Hi, I am a relative newbie and am trying to do something that I can't find the answer to anywhere and am hoping you can help.

I have a table which contains a list of different Process Areas which contains all the meetings they have scheduled.  The requirement is to ensure they have at least one meeting scheduled in each half of the year.  My problem is, some areas will have more than one meeting scheduled.    

What I would like is a measure or a column that reports on a search of the list and reports on only one of each for each process area.   Below is a representation of the sort of thing I have.  I would like to find a way of just reporting on one H1 and one H2 from each process area.

Process Title

Meeting Date

HalfYear

Process 1

22/01/2022

H1

Process 1

13/03/2022

H1

Process 1

19/09/2022

H2

Process 1

20/11/2022

H2

Process 2

18/01/2022

H1

Process 2

16/09/2022

H2

Process 3

16/03/2022

H1

Process 3

28/09/2022

H2

Process 3

10/12/2022

H2

I hope I am making sense

3 REPLIES 3
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @WYSE595 ;

You could create a custom column in power query .

= Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", each if Date.Month([Meeting Date] ) <=6 then "H1" else "H2")

Or you could create a measure in desktop.

= Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom", each if Date.Month([Meeting Date] ) <=6 then "H1" else "H2")

The final show:

vyalanwumsft_0-1661841361914.png

If i understand error, can you share more logic and the result you want to ouput?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-jingzhang 

I have removed the solution recently applied to this post. This clearly does not solve the OP's (albeit vague) question.

OP already has the half-year column, they appear to require that the table is adjusted to show where either at least one meeting has taken place during the half-year, or none.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @WYSE595 ,

Not sure I fully understand your requirements here, but here's a few options for what I think you might want. These are all based on an original query called 'procMeeting' as follows:

// Call this procMeeting
let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCijKT04tLlYwVNJRMjLSNzDUNzIwMgJyPAyVYnVQ5Q2N9Q2M8clb6htYwuWNMOSNDPQNDXHIg4QMLXDbD5Y3w22+MVQel/tA8kYWBPQD3WeEQ94EKAR0HKr+WAA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Process Title" = _t, #"Meeting Date" = _t, HalfYear = _t]),
    chgTypes = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Process Title", type text}, {"Meeting Date", type date}, {"HalfYear", type text}})
in
    chgTypes

1) Retain a single row per Process, per Half Year - will not show missed meetings

Multi-select (Ctrl + click) both [Process Title] and [Half year]

Go to the Home tab > Remove Rows (dropdown) > Remove Duplicates

This gives the following output:

BA_Pete_0-1661530011139.png

2) Group and count meetings per Process, per Half Year - will not show missed meetings

Multi-select (Ctrl + click) both [Process Title] and [Half year]

Go to the Home tab > Group By, and add a count column as your aggregation:

BA_Pete_1-1661528940429.png

BA_Pete_1-1661530055025.png

3) Create base "expected meetings" table and merge actuals - WILL show missed meetings:

Create a new query with the following code, assuming that the original query is called 'procMeeting' as provided above:

let
    Source = Table.Distinct(Table.SelectColumns(procMeeting, "Process Title")),
    addHalfYearList = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Half Year", each {"H1", "H2"}),
    expandHalfYearList = Table.ExpandListColumn(addHalfYearList, "Half Year"),
    mergeOriginalQuery = Table.NestedJoin(expandHalfYearList, {"Process Title", "Half Year"}, procMeeting, {"Process Title", "HalfYear"}, "procMeeting", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    expandDateCountNoNulls = Table.AggregateTableColumn(mergeOriginalQuery, "procMeeting", {{"Meeting Date", List.NonNullCount, "CountOfMeetings"}})
in
    expandDateCountNoNulls

The trick here is to merge on both [Process Title] and [Half Year], and expand the merge as a Count aggregation of the procMeeting[Meeting Date] column, then slightly adjust the generated code to count only non-null values, rather than a pure List.Count which s the default:

BA_Pete_3-1661529748458.png

BA_Pete_4-1661529806638.png

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors