Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RobG123
Helper I
Helper I

Query Errors taking forever to load

Hi,

I appended two datasets, one with about 10,000 rows and one with around 3,000. I know that the column headers aren't all the same so expected to get some errors. But the query errors istaking forever to load - 25 hours so far.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what to do?

Thanks
Rob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Are we talking about the actual append query taking so long, or are we talking about one of the auto-generated 'Errors in query' queries taking this long?

The auto-generated ones never load the first time you select them, you usually need to close PQ down then reopen it and it will load straight away.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @RobG123 ,

It shouldn't generate errors when columns don't match during an append operation, it should just create new columns that will populate as null for the table that doesn't contain that column.

Can you provide more detail around what errors you are seeing and what you are doing to prompt the 25 hour load time?

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks, i can't see the errors because they are still loading.

What more detail would be helpful? The datasets I'm appending are excel files, linked to powerBI by the web option (they are stored in sharepoint). The data is staff records, I'm a adding a new year of data to data from the previous 10 years. The datasets have about 30 columns.

Are we talking about the actual append query taking so long, or are we talking about one of the auto-generated 'Errors in query' queries taking this long?

The auto-generated ones never load the first time you select them, you usually need to close PQ down then reopen it and it will load straight away.

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Thanks that worked. I don't understand why though! It seems like odd behaviour from PowerBI

It is odd behaviour.

To you or me it's obviously not working correctly but I'm sure if you asked someone from MS they'd explain how it's a "feature" somehow 😂

Pete

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors