Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Power Query seems to hang when I click Close and Apply

Hi

I have a simple power query that sorts a column, and a step to determine when a value changes in the sorted column. This step that determines if the value changes seems to cause the query to hang (not respond). 

When I click Close and Apply in Power BI, the data load starts but never seems to stop - it is stuck on this 'Apply query changes' dialog (I left it for an hour and cancelled it).

sfog_0-1610402047854.png

Here is the query (the underlined bit in the last line is what's causing it - if I remove it or if I do not refer to the previous value - the query is applied in less than 5 seconds)

Here is the source Excel file if you want to reproduce the issue: Source file 

let

Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\temp\Revised risk raw data.xlsx"), null, true),
#"raw data_Sheet" = Source{[Item="raw data",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"raw data_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
#"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Promoted Headers",{"IncidentTimestamp"}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns1",{{"UDATE", type text}, {"UTIME", type text}, {"OBJID", type text}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "IncidentTimestamp", each [OBJID] & [UDATE] & [UTIME]),
Sort = Table.Sort(#"Added Custom",{{"IncidentTimestamp", Order.Descending}}),
Buffer = Table.Buffer(Sort),
AddIndex = Table.AddIndexColumn(Buffer, "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
AddFilterColumn = Table.AddColumn(AddIndex, "ChangeIndicator", each if [Index] = 0 then "New Value" else if [Obj and Value] = AddIndex{[Index]-1}[Obj and Value] then "No Change" else "New Value", type text )
in
AddFilterColumn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

I managed to solve it with a workaround. 

My requirement was to compare the current row with the previous row - so all I did was:

- remove the line that used the index (-1) to compare to the previous row

- adding a new column (index + 1)

-  merge the current query with itself (on the index and index+1 columns)

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
sfog
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi

I managed to solve it with a workaround. 

My requirement was to compare the current row with the previous row - so all I did was:

- remove the line that used the index (-1) to compare to the previous row

- adding a new column (index + 1)

-  merge the current query with itself (on the index and index+1 columns)

@sfog 

Thank you for share your workaround.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors