Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vsolanon
Frequent Visitor

Power Query combining NULL values

Hi Experts,

I am creating my fist PowerBi which is linked to SharePoint lists. I have a column within the SP List named "Author" which is a Person column. Due to this, when I changed the properties to "Fist Name and Last Name", I got two different columns.

powerbi1.JPG

powerbi2.JPG

Since I want to display the two columns in one field, I created a a new column named "Author" (the one that is highlighted in the above image) using the below formula.

ColumnCreated= [Author.FistName]& " "& [Author."LastName]

My main issue is that when I combine both columns, I got a null value since one of the columns combine is null.  Could you please guide me through to know how this can be fix. In case a column is null, I would like to only display the next that has a value.

Kindly note I have tried using "isblank" and "if" statement wihout success. Also, the order of the column cannot be change since I need to display first the name and then the last name.

Thank you in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Use the following logic in Power Query:

= [Column1] & (if [Custom] = null then "" else [Custom])

It is critical you wrap the if/then/else construct in parentheses, or you'll get an error about a literal being expected. This will return the entire if/then/else as a literal, then allow you to concatenate with your other column.

Then mark that new column as text, and bring it into Power BI's DAX model.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Maybe the solution by @CNENFRNL is more elegant, easier to use in case you have more columns (like I had)?

Table.AddColumn(#"Replaced Value", "Custom", each ([A]??"") & ([B]??"") & ([C]??""))

Solved: Custom column to combine two Colum returns null if... - Microsoft Fabric Community

Matthew_Theis
Advocate II
Advocate II

If the nulls are replaced with blank, and all columns are Text data type, you can create a custom column and "concantenate" the fields together with an "&".  This is the most elegant solution to your problem.

jvanegmond
Advocate I
Advocate I

Although the if-then-else solution works, this one does work too. And you can expand it easily for 3 or more fields

ColumnCreated= Text.Combine({[Author.FistName], [Author.LastName]}, " ")

edhans
Super User
Super User

Use the following logic in Power Query:

= [Column1] & (if [Custom] = null then "" else [Custom])

It is critical you wrap the if/then/else construct in parentheses, or you'll get an error about a literal being expected. This will return the entire if/then/else as a literal, then allow you to concatenate with your other column.

Then mark that new column as text, and bring it into Power BI's DAX model.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

@edhans worked for me. Thank you!

Great @munchkin666 !

It's work, but if you have several columns with null values it can became unreadable.

I create a function "IsNull" (sorry variables are in french)

let
    IsNull = (Valeur,RetourSiNull)=>
    let
        ValeurRetournee = if Valeur=null then RetourSiNull else Valeur
    in
        ValeurRetournee
in
    IsNull

You use like this

= [Column1] & IsNull([Custom], "")

I use this function to avoid null in calculus (IsNull([Custom],0) or comparaison (IsNull([Custom],"")="").

I hope this will be helpfull.

Guy

Thank you so much @edhans it worked like a charm 🙂

I am new in PowerBi and will start reading more about this properties to use 🙂

Great! Glad it helped.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors