Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

phi2134
Helper I
Helper I

Multiple Users for Database while setting up On Premise Gateway

I need some guidance on how to set up the on-premise data gateway with our current database setup.  I have the on-premise gateway installed and now i have to set up my data connections on the online portal.   

Our Data Warehouse which we are currently trying to use in our Power BI reports contains multiple schemas used by different companies all located on the same DB and Server, security is done at the login level giving you access to your specific database tables.  

Which means we have one database connection that everyone hits using different user names.  Within Power BI we are setting up Utility accounts on the DB so each team will have the same Utility Account to hit their specific tables.  So in the end we will have probably around 15 Utility accounts to pull all of our data necessary in our dashboards.

What is the best way to setup the On-Premise Data Gateway connections so that they can all schedule refreshes against their specific datasets using their utility accounts?  I am seeing that you are only able to enter in a data connections once for a database.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@phi2134,

In your scenario, each team uses different account to connect to the database, right? If so, when the teams have same domain as yours, you can add them as Administrators for the gateway you have configured following the guide in this article,  then they can add the SQL data source within this gateway and set schedule refresh for their datasets.

However, if the teams have different domain as yours, they need to install gateway on their own machines and add the SQL data source within their gateways.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I dont believe this is a solution at all, this is a massive limitation of the tool and will stop us from using our Database security settings from implementing our power bi solutions for 15 different teams.  In order to install the personal data gateway you need to have your machine up and running for the data refreshes to work, this is not a feasible solution since our refreshes need to happen before the beginning of the day when the business gets in.  People cant have their computers up and running nonstop.

@phi2134,

Do the team members have same domain as yours? If so, you can share the on-premises gateway to them by adding them as gateway administrators. And just make sure that the server that installing the on-premises gateway is on.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors