Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

shocktech

Match and Extract String from List using Power Query

I am trying to extract the Primary SMTP address fomr the proxyAddress attibute in ADDS. When expanded the proxyAddress attribute is a list. An Exmple of the onctent might be as follows:

smtp: joe.bloggs@my.com
SMTP: joe.bloggs@my.com
X500:/o=VHI/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=bloggs_j
x500:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=744b0ca795fa4892a71b247bcd3009f3-bloggs_j

The primary SMTP address is the one that begins with uppercase SMTP. As such, I need to match that list item and return it as a sring. I can't seem to figure this out using the List.Select type funtions. Any assitance would be greatly appricated. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @shocktech 

Do you mean each row in the text you show is an element in a list? And by list you refer to a PQ list, for example {1, 2, 3, 4} ?

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

AlB
Super User
Super User

@shocktech 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps of a potential solution:

let
    Source = { "smtp: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "SMTP: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "X500:/o=VHI/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=bloggs_j",
        "x500:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=744b0ca795fa4892a71b247bcd3009f3-bloggs_j"},

findSMTP_ = List.Select(Source, each Text.Contains(_, "SMTP")),
    res_ = Text.Combine(List.Transform(findSMTP_, each Text.Trim(Text.AfterDelimiter(_, "SMTP:"))), ", ")  
in
    res_

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlB
Super User
Super User

@shocktech 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps of a potential solution:

let
    Source = { "smtp: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "SMTP: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "X500:/o=VHI/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=bloggs_j",
        "x500:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=744b0ca795fa4892a71b247bcd3009f3-bloggs_j"},

findSMTP_ = List.Select(Source, each Text.Contains(_, "SMTP")),
    res_ = Text.Combine(List.Transform(findSMTP_, each Text.Trim(Text.AfterDelimiter(_, "SMTP:"))), ", ")  
in
    res_

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @shocktech 

Do you mean each row in the text you show is an element in a list? And by list you refer to a PQ list, for example {1, 2, 3, 4} ?

SU18_powerbi_badge

Yes indeed. I am using PowerQuery in Excel 365 Desktop app. I should have clarified this. Apologies. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors