Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shocktech

Match and Extract String from List using Power Query

I am trying to extract the Primary SMTP address fomr the proxyAddress attibute in ADDS. When expanded the proxyAddress attribute is a list. An Exmple of the onctent might be as follows:

smtp: joe.bloggs@my.com
SMTP: joe.bloggs@my.com
X500:/o=VHI/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=bloggs_j
x500:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=744b0ca795fa4892a71b247bcd3009f3-bloggs_j

The primary SMTP address is the one that begins with uppercase SMTP. As such, I need to match that list item and return it as a sring. I can't seem to figure this out using the List.Select type funtions. Any assitance would be greatly appricated. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @shocktech 

Do you mean each row in the text you show is an element in a list? And by list you refer to a PQ list, for example {1, 2, 3, 4} ?

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

View solution in original post

AlB
Super User
Super User

@shocktech 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps of a potential solution:

let
    Source = { "smtp: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "SMTP: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "X500:/o=VHI/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=bloggs_j",
        "x500:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=744b0ca795fa4892a71b247bcd3009f3-bloggs_j"},

findSMTP_ = List.Select(Source, each Text.Contains(_, "SMTP")),
    res_ = Text.Combine(List.Transform(findSMTP_, each Text.Trim(Text.AfterDelimiter(_, "SMTP:"))), ", ")  
in
    res_

SU18_powerbi_badge

Please accept the solution when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
AlB
Super User
Super User

@shocktech 

Place the following M code in a blank query to see the steps of a potential solution:

let
    Source = { "smtp: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "SMTP: joe.bloggs@my.com",
        "X500:/o=VHI/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=bloggs_j",
        "x500:/o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=744b0ca795fa4892a71b247bcd3009f3-bloggs_j"},

findSMTP_ = List.Select(Source, each Text.Contains(_, "SMTP")),
    res_ = Text.Combine(List.Transform(findSMTP_, each Text.Trim(Text.AfterDelimiter(_, "SMTP:"))), ", ")  
in
    res_

SU18_powerbi_badge

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @shocktech 

Do you mean each row in the text you show is an element in a list? And by list you refer to a PQ list, for example {1, 2, 3, 4} ?

SU18_powerbi_badge

Yes indeed. I am using PowerQuery in Excel 365 Desktop app. I should have clarified this. Apologies. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors