Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Index column only for specific value (Conditional index column)

Hello,

I am looking for some help with the index column. I have a long column (Column1) with text and want add an index column. The challenge is that the index should only be counted (+1) if in Column1 a specific keyword appears. The keyword is always the same. It should look like this:

Column1 | Index
-------------------
Keyword | 1
Text 1     | 
Text 2     |
Keyword | 2
Text 3     |
Text 4     |
Text 5     |
Keyword | 3
Text 6     |

I thought of the following steps: filter Column1 for keyword; apply the function "Index Column"; remove the filter. But I don't know how to remove a filter in M Language.

Probably my problem is easy to solve but didn't found a solution in other posts. I hope that someone can help here. Thank you. 
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I have a solution for you. Click through the steps and you will see how it works.

I create an index on the original table. Then I create a second table "KeywordRowFullIndex" which contains only "Keyword" rows and create a secondary index on this smaller table. And in the end I join them together on the FullIndex.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k6tLM8vSlGK1YlWCkmtKFEwVACBGgWEiBFEBCyAodwYSRIsYIIuYIpPuxlMMhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    IndexColumn = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "FullIndex", 0, 1),
    KeywordRowFullIndex = Table.SelectRows(IndexColumn, each [Column1] = "Keyword"),
    SecondaryIndex = Table.AddIndexColumn(KeywordRowFullIndex, "Index", 1, 1),
    Join = Table.NestedJoin(IndexColumn, "FullIndex", SecondaryIndex, "FullIndex", "SecondaryIndex"),
    ExpandedSecondaryIndex = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Join, "SecondaryIndex", {"Index"}, {"Index"}),
    RemoveFullIndexColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(ExpandedSecondaryIndex,{"FullIndex"})
in
    RemoveFullIndexColumn

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous 

As tested, Nolock 's solution should work.

4.png

You don't need to filter data, just check my pbix.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous,

I have a solution for you. Click through the steps and you will see how it works.

I create an index on the original table. Then I create a second table "KeywordRowFullIndex" which contains only "Keyword" rows and create a secondary index on this smaller table. And in the end I join them together on the FullIndex.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45W8k6tLM8vSlGK1YlWCkmtKFEwVACBGgWEiBFEBCyAodwYSRIsYIIuYIpPuxlMMhYA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Column1 = _t]),
    IndexColumn = Table.AddIndexColumn(Source, "FullIndex", 0, 1),
    KeywordRowFullIndex = Table.SelectRows(IndexColumn, each [Column1] = "Keyword"),
    SecondaryIndex = Table.AddIndexColumn(KeywordRowFullIndex, "Index", 1, 1),
    Join = Table.NestedJoin(IndexColumn, "FullIndex", SecondaryIndex, "FullIndex", "SecondaryIndex"),
    ExpandedSecondaryIndex = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Join, "SecondaryIndex", {"Index"}, {"Index"}),
    RemoveFullIndexColumn = Table.RemoveColumns(ExpandedSecondaryIndex,{"FullIndex"})
in
    RemoveFullIndexColumn
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Nolock,

Thank you very much for your code, which also provides the index in those rows with the keyword. But unfortunately a lot of rows are deleted in the end, almost every second. Do you have any idea why that is?

Hi @Anonymous 

As tested, Nolock 's solution should work.

4.png

You don't need to filter data, just check my pbix.

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Anonymous,

no spontanious idea. Please, can you provide some sample data where it doesn't work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors