Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JNelson
Helper II
Helper II

Grouping Function Power Query

Hello all,

I think this is a basic grouping action however I can't get it to work. Or I may need to pivot or have a conditional statement in, but was hoping someone would be able to assist.

I have a data set of sales where, if there are multiple rows for a single day and code, I want to SUM the Qty column relating to the Date and the Code and for the summed value to populate in the corresponding row that has A in column A or P. And to leave the corresponding Qty cell (where column [A or P] is P) blank. The order of [A and P] is not always A on top so may need sorting? But don't want to mess up the data. Example of desired outcome below, and data table provided.

JNelson_0-1713400783159.png

3 REPLIES 3
dufoq3
Super User
Super User

Hi @JNelson, different approach here.

Before

dufoq3_1-1713454908340.png

After

dufoq3_2-1713454919913.png

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMrTQNzDRNzIwMlHSUTIEYv+izPTMvMQcINPYwABImoMIR6VYHSyKA4ryQSosgIQlSFkApjIjIPZxKlaAKDW0sASSpviVIjnBxBxImEEcEAsA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Date = _t, Code = _t, Type = _t, Qty = _t, Q2 = _t, #"A or P" = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Qty", Int64.Type}, {"Q2", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}}),
    GroupedRows = Table.Group(ChangedType, {"Date", "Code"}, {{"All", each Table.AddColumn(_, "Sum Qty", (x)=> List.Sum([Qty]), Int64.Type), type table [Date=nullable date, Code=nullable text, Type=nullable text, Qty=nullable number, Q2=nullable number, A or P=nullable text]}}),
    CombinedAll = Table.Combine(GroupedRows[All]),
    ReplacedQty = Table.ReplaceValue(CombinedAll,
        each [A or P] = "A",
        each [Sum Qty],
        (x,y,z)=> if y then z else null,
        {"Qty"} ),
    RestoreDataTypes = Value.ReplaceType(ReplacedQty, Value.Type(CombinedAll)),
    RemovedColumns = Table.RemoveColumns(RestoreDataTypes,{"Sum Qty"})
in
    RemovedColumns

Note: Check this link to learn how to use my query.
Check this link if you don't know how to provide sample data.

AlienSx
Super User
Super User

hello, @JNelson group and expand operations may shuffle data so add index column to sort by in the end if you like.

let
    Source = your_table,
    fx = (tbl) => 
        if Table.RowCount(tbl) = 1 
        then tbl
        else Table.FromRecords(
            Table.TransformRows(
                tbl, 
                (x) => Record.TransformFields(
                    x, 
                    {"Qty", each if x[A or P] = "A" then List.Sum(tbl[Qty]) else null}
                )
            )
        ),
    group = Table.Group(
        Source, 
        {"Date", "Code"}, 
        {{"x", fx}}),
    xp_tbl = Table.ExpandTableColumn(group, "x", {"Type", "Qty", "Q2", "A or P"})
in
    xp_tbl
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=let a=Table.Group(PreivousStepName,{"Date","Code"},{"n",each if Table.RowCount(_)>1 then List.Sum([Qty]) else null}) in Table.ReplaceValue(PreviousStepName,each _,"",(x,y,z)=>let b= a{[Date=y[Date],Code=y[Code]]}[n] in if b=null then x else if y[A or P]="A" then b else null,{"Qty"}) 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors