Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MYasim

Grouped Stock Ranking problem

I am trying to sort grouped tables in power query, as part of an assignment from datacamp. First there were instructions to right click on grouped column, then click on add custom column. But there is only custom column from examples option only. Secondly when I try to make index column, using table.addindexcolumn for a grouped column that I sorted using table.sort then it gives me error in entire column. The formula I used for table.sort is:
Table.Sort([Grouped],{{"StockPlusOrderValue", Order.Descending}})

I used for table.addindex:

Table.AddIndexColumn([SortedGroup], "CategoryGroupedRank", 1, 1)

But now it is giving me entire column error

Please help if someone knows a solution

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @MYasim 

It should be [Sorted Group]. You are missing the space character between two words.

vjingzhang_0-1686215808475.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MYasim 

Can you please provide some sample data to help clarify what you have currently and what you want to achieve?

The formula looks correct. What is the error message after you used Table.AddIndexColumn([SortedGroup], "CategoryGroupedRank", 1, 1)? You can click the "Error" in a cell to see the detailed error message. 

Best Regards,

Sure, here I will share screenshots. It is northwind products data, hope this helps. I couldn't find an option to share files.Northwind Products Data.pngFirst Grouped column.pngSecond Sorted Grouped column.pngit says SortedGroup not foundit says SortedGroup not found

Hi @MYasim 

It should be [Sorted Group]. You are missing the space character between two words.

vjingzhang_0-1686215808475.png

Best Regards,
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors