Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Renato_mon
Regular Visitor

Group by with variable columns

Hi all,

I'd like to use group by to sum the values for several columns, but my database always changing the number of columns that was summarized.

Amount is fixed, but the columns "xba-" is variable. Sometimes has xba-1 and xba-2 and sometimes has xba-1 to xba-40

I have the following code:

= Table.Group(Source, {"part"}, {{"Amount", each List.Sum([amount]), type number}, {"xba-1", each List.Sum([#"xba-1"]), type nullable number}, {"xba-2", each List.Sum([#"xba-2"]), type nullable number}, {"xba-3", each List.Sum([#"xba-3"]), type nullable number}, {"xba-4", each List.Sum([#"xba-4"]), type nullable number}, {"xba-5", each List.Sum([#"xba-5"]), type nullable number}})

I created a list of column names (myColumn):

Renato_mon_0-1679105390674.png

I'd like to use someting like that:

Table.Group(Source, {"part"}, myColumn, each List.Sum(myColumn))

Is possible?

Every help is appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

Renato

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - this is how you can group and sum a variable number of columns... Included in the sample script below shows an example of how you can sum the values of all numeric data fields and another example of how you can sum the values of all fields beginning with "xba". 

SCRIPT

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTI2AhKGIMLMVClWByJoCsQW5kDCyAQhBhI0NwNpMYYLgvlGxkDCBKHb2ABqhKWFUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ColumnName1 = _t, #"xba-1" = _t, #"xba-2" = _t, #"xba-3" = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"xba-1", Int64.Type}, {"xba-2", Int64.Type}, {"xba-3", Int64.Type}}),
    Grouped = Table.Group(ChangedType, {"ColumnName1"}, {{"Data", each _, type table }}),
    // Use this line to select all columns that are of type number.
    // ListOfColumnNames = Table.ColumnsOfType ( Grouped[Data]{0}, {type nullable number} ),
    // Use this line to select all columns beginning with xba.
    ListOfColumnNames = List.Select ( Table.ColumnNames ( Grouped[Data]{0} ), each Text.StartsWith ( _, "xba" ) ),
    SumGroupedData = Table.AddColumn ( 
        Grouped, 
        "SummedData", each 
        Table.FromRows ( 
            { 
                List.Transform ( 
                    Table.ToColumns ( 
                        Table.SelectColumns ( [Data], ListOfColumnNames ) 
                    ), each try List.Sum ( _ ) otherwise _ 
                ) 
            }, ListOfColumnNames 
        ) 
    ),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(SumGroupedData, "SummedData", ListOfColumnNames)
in
    Expand

RESULT

jennratten_0-1679162734361.png 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - this is how you can group and sum a variable number of columns... Included in the sample script below shows an example of how you can sum the values of all numeric data fields and another example of how you can sum the values of all fields beginning with "xba". 

SCRIPT

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTI2AhKGIMLMVClWByJoCsQW5kDCyAQhBhI0NwNpMYYLgvlGxkDCBKHb2ABqhKWFUmwsAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ColumnName1 = _t, #"xba-1" = _t, #"xba-2" = _t, #"xba-3" = _t]),
    ChangedType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"xba-1", Int64.Type}, {"xba-2", Int64.Type}, {"xba-3", Int64.Type}}),
    Grouped = Table.Group(ChangedType, {"ColumnName1"}, {{"Data", each _, type table }}),
    // Use this line to select all columns that are of type number.
    // ListOfColumnNames = Table.ColumnsOfType ( Grouped[Data]{0}, {type nullable number} ),
    // Use this line to select all columns beginning with xba.
    ListOfColumnNames = List.Select ( Table.ColumnNames ( Grouped[Data]{0} ), each Text.StartsWith ( _, "xba" ) ),
    SumGroupedData = Table.AddColumn ( 
        Grouped, 
        "SummedData", each 
        Table.FromRows ( 
            { 
                List.Transform ( 
                    Table.ToColumns ( 
                        Table.SelectColumns ( [Data], ListOfColumnNames ) 
                    ), each try List.Sum ( _ ) otherwise _ 
                ) 
            }, ListOfColumnNames 
        ) 
    ),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(SumGroupedData, "SummedData", ListOfColumnNames)
in
    Expand

RESULT

jennratten_0-1679162734361.png 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors