Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lchirag
Frequent Visitor

Extracting specific numeric pattern from text field

Hi There,

I seek logic to extract a 7-digit numerical value from the text field starting with the digit "21". It can be anywhere in the text field and there can be other digits too.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
grazitti_sapna
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @lchirag 

You can try using by a calculated column 

Extracted Value =
VAR TextValue = 'YourTable'[YourTextField] // Replace 'YourTable' with your actual table name and 'YourTextField' with the name of your text field column
VAR StartIndex = FIND("21", TextValue, 1) // Find the index where "21" starts in the text
VAR ExtractedText = MID(TextValue, StartIndex, 7) // Extract the next 7 characters starting from the "21" index
VAR ExtractedValue = VALUE(ExtractedText) // Convert the extracted text to a numerical value
RETURN IF(LEN(ExtractedText) = 7 && StartIndex > 0 && ISNUMBER(ExtractedValue), ExtractedValue)

This formula uses the FIND function to locate the starting index of "21" in the text field. Then, it uses the MID function to extract the next 7 characters from that starting index. The VALUE function is applied to convert the extracted text into a numerical value.

Thank you 

Hope this will help you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
collinsg
Super User
Super User

Good day Ichirag,

Here is an approach in M for Power Query

1. Use Text.PositionOf to find “21”.
  2. Use Text.Middle to extract the string from 21, including 7 characters in total.
  3. Convert the extracted string to a number.

I set up data to demonstrate this,

collinsg_0-1686206404511.png

I then processed it with this M code.

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"ID", type text}, {"Comment", type text}, {"Expected result", Int64.Type}}),
#"Added Actual Result" = Table.AddColumn(
#"Changed Type",
"Actual result",
each Number.From( Text.Middle( [ID], Text.PositionOf( [ID], "21" ), 7 ) ),
Int64.Type
),
#"Added Test" = Table.AddColumn(
#"Added Actual Result",
"Actual result = Expected result?",
each [Actual result] = [Expected result],
type logical
)
in
#"Added Test"

Giving this result

collinsg_1-1686206412485.png

Hope this helps.

AjithPrasath
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @lchirag ,

Please try the below code. Here 'YourTableName'[TextField] is the column from which you are extracting the data.

ExtractedValue =
VAR TextValue = 'YourTableName'[TextField]
RETURN
    IF(
        ISBLANK(TextValue),
        BLANK(),
        MID(
            TextValue,
            SEARCH("21", TextValue, 1),
        )
    )

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

grazitti_sapna
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @lchirag 

You can try using by a calculated column 

Extracted Value =
VAR TextValue = 'YourTable'[YourTextField] // Replace 'YourTable' with your actual table name and 'YourTextField' with the name of your text field column
VAR StartIndex = FIND("21", TextValue, 1) // Find the index where "21" starts in the text
VAR ExtractedText = MID(TextValue, StartIndex, 7) // Extract the next 7 characters starting from the "21" index
VAR ExtractedValue = VALUE(ExtractedText) // Convert the extracted text to a numerical value
RETURN IF(LEN(ExtractedText) = 7 && StartIndex > 0 && ISNUMBER(ExtractedValue), ExtractedValue)

This formula uses the FIND function to locate the starting index of "21" in the text field. Then, it uses the MID function to extract the next 7 characters from that starting index. The VALUE function is applied to convert the extracted text into a numerical value.

Thank you 

Hope this will help you.

Hi Sapna, Thank you very much for the solution, this was simple and worked perfectly! Appreciate you help, thanks a lot!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors