Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dedelman_clng
Community Champion
Community Champion

Error connecting to SharePoint online

When trying to connect PowerBI Desktop to a SharePoint Online List, I can't even get to the page to put in my password because of an unknown error. My system admins are stumped as well.

I am using "Organization Credentials" to try to connect at the site level.  When I enter my email address, it says "Redirecting We're taking you to your organizations sign-in page" and then throws this error:

SPO error.PNG

The trace logs show this:

SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult/Compile {"Start":"2016-09-09T15:22:08.4363929Z","Action":"SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult/Compile","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.282 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"094290d4-73bd-480f-9032-62f48c064331","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":8732,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0024280"}
SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult/Evaluate {"Start":"2016-09-09T15:22:08.4388632Z","Action":"SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult/Evaluate","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.282 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"094290d4-73bd-480f-9032-62f48c064331","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":8732,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0003949"}
SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<IPreviewValueSource> {"Start":"2016-09-09T15:22:08.4363855Z","Action":"SimpleDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<IPreviewValueSource>","Exception":"Exception:\r\nExceptionType: Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.UnpermittedResourceAccessException, Microsoft.MashupEngine, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35\r\nMessage: Exception of type 'Microsoft.Mashup.Engine.Interface.UnpermittedResourceAccessException' was thrown.\r\nStackTrace:\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.EvaluationResult2`1.get_Result()\r\n   at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.<>c__DisplayClass2.<BeginGetResult>b__0(EvaluationResult2`1 result)\r\n\r\n\r\n","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.282 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"094290d4-73bd-480f-9032-62f48c064331","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":8732,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0030015"}
FirewallDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource> {"Start":"2016-09-09T15:22:08.4362738Z","Action":"FirewallDocumentEvaluator/GetResult<Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IPreviewValueSource>","ProductVersion":"2.38.4491.282 (PBIDesktop)","ActivityId":"094290d4-73bd-480f-9032-62f48c064331","Process":"Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40","Pid":8732,"Tid":1,"Duration":"00:00:00.0031218"}

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

David Edelman

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Turns out our AD environment is using Kerberos authentication instead on NTFS, which the PowerBI to SharePoint online connector does not support.

A ticket was opened with Microsoft and a workaround discovered (set our "Global Primary Authentication" policy for "Intranet" to "Forms Authentication" instead of "Windows Authentication")

ADFS ManagerADFS ManagerAuthentication PoliciesAuthentication PoliciesIntranetIntranet

The Microsoft rep helping my system admins is going to open a ticket with the PowerBI team for the bug.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dedelman_clng,

From the image, the URL you are trying to connect is https://sts.cameronlng.com/adfs/ls/ , it seems that you are not connecting to the true SharePoint Online site.

Based on my test, when I use SharePoint Online List data source type, we can type the site which contains SharePoint list. For example, the list is below:

a1.PNG

Then in desktop, type the site URL and sign in with valid account.

a2.PNGa3.PNGa4.PNGa5.PNG

So in your scenario, please sign in the SharePoint Online via this URL: https://portal.microsoftonline.com/, and check if there is a SharePoint online list created in the site. Then follow the screenshots above to test if you can connect to it successfully.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Before I get to the error screen this is what my connection looks like in PowerBI

SPO connect.PNG

I click "Sign in"  and get this page:

SPO connect2.PNG

After I enter my email address, I get redirected to the "sts" page which throws the error.  In all use cases outside of PowerBI I can log into my corporate SPO without issue.  Are there cookies/cache/etc that are specific to PowerBI that might be corrupted or need updating/deletion?

Turns out our AD environment is using Kerberos authentication instead on NTFS, which the PowerBI to SharePoint online connector does not support.

A ticket was opened with Microsoft and a workaround discovered (set our "Global Primary Authentication" policy for "Intranet" to "Forms Authentication" instead of "Windows Authentication")

ADFS ManagerADFS ManagerAuthentication PoliciesAuthentication PoliciesIntranetIntranet

The Microsoft rep helping my system admins is going to open a ticket with the PowerBI team for the bug.

I am also encountering this error. But instead of redirecting me to "sts" page, I am redirected to https://fs.<company>.com/adfs/ls whats the difference?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors