Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

luanamoreschi
Frequent Visitor

Duration Conversion and Calculation

Hello everyone. I have this database where the calls' duration are in the format 00:00:00 (hh:mm:ss). I.E:

Contact IDTMA 
100003:02:30 
100106:23:20 
100202:47:30 
100303:16:40 
100405:23:20 
100504:50:00 
100603:18:20 
100702:27:30 
100806:36:40 
100904:20:00 
101005:43:20 
101106:37:30 

When I try to convert it to Duration, I get the error:

DataFormat.Error: We couldn't convert to Duration.
Details:
00:12:41

I want to convert it so I can calculate the average for each Rep.
Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Peter_Beck
Resolver II
Resolver II

You might be getting this error becuase you are already automatically converting the data to a time, and then trying to make a duration from that.

If you have an automatic step that is converting the column to a "time", delete that step and replace it with a step that converts it to duration.

This gives an error:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwMFDSUTIwtjIwsjI2UIqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Contact_ID = _t, TMA = _t]),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"TMA", type time}}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"TMA", type duration}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

This works ok:

let
Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjQwMFDSUTIwtjIwsjI2UIqNBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Contact_ID = _t, TMA = _t]),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Source",{{"TMA", type duration}}) // note removed step from previous example
in
#"Changed Type1"

Hope this helps,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Beck
Resolver II
Resolver II

You might be getting this error becuase you are already automatically converting the data to a time, and then trying to make a duration from that.

If you have an automatic step that is converting the column to a "time", delete that step and replace it with a step that converts it to duration.

This gives an error:

let
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"TMA", type time}}),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Changed Type",{{"TMA", type duration}})
in
#"Changed Type1"

This works ok:

let
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Source",{{"TMA", type duration}}) // note removed step from previous example
in
#"Changed Type1"

Hope this helps,

Peter

Thank you!

It worked. But I wanted to convert to duration in minutes, is it possible?

Do you mean convert 3 hrs 2 min 30 sec (the example above) to 182.5 minutes?

If so, you can use the functon Duration.TotalMinutes:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/duration-totalminutes

Alternatively, select the column, and on the Add Column tab, select Duration... and then Total Minutes (it is on the upper right side of the tab - see the screen-shot below). This will create a new column with the total minutes for the column you selected.

ScreenHunter_117 Mar. 14 20.58.jpg

Hope this helps,

Peter

Hope this helps,

Peter

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

NewStep=Table.TransformColumns(PreviousStepName,{"TMA",each Duration.From(Number.From(_))})

Helpful resources

Announcements
July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

PBI_Carousel_NL_June

Fabric Community Update - June 2024

Get the latest Fabric updates from Build 2024, key Skills Challenge voucher deadlines, top blogs, forum posts, and product ideas.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors