Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

RobertG
Regular Visitor

DirectQuery vs Import conumdrum

We've developed a Dashboard using the Import option.  I was naive to think that a move to DirectQuery would be easy. Subsequently I've realsied the difficulty in doing this as the queries to the data source are non-optimal and don't fit the mould for DirectQuery - they pull back too much data and I've got a nested join within my DAX code.

The easiest way around this would be for Microsoft to allow half houlry refereshes of the data with the Import option - why can't this be done?

Or I could have 6 versions of the Dashboard (i.e. 6*8=48) so I can have a least one upto date dashboard for each hhr during the day. 😉 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Eno for the reply.

I've been doing a bit of investigation and it looks as though you have do things 'properly' with DirectQuery. i.e write efficent queries and move as much as the processing into the SQL layer as possible. With DirectQuery you don't have the added luxury of preprocessing and shaping the data in the PowerQuery layer.

This just means more work which I had hoped to avoid. At least I'll be wiser next time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

@RobertG Have you tried to optimize the queries? Using views would also be a way to limit/shape the data set the way you need it using DQ. Even in the import scenerio it would be worthwhile so you don't pull extra data you aren't going to use anyway.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks Eno for the reply.

I've been doing a bit of investigation and it looks as though you have do things 'properly' with DirectQuery. i.e write efficent queries and move as much as the processing into the SQL layer as possible. With DirectQuery you don't have the added luxury of preprocessing and shaping the data in the PowerQuery layer.

This just means more work which I had hoped to avoid. At least I'll be wiser next time.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors