Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JasonCampbell

Personal data gateway - install and configure ok, nothing showing up in the service

Hi

I installed the personal gateway on Windows Server 2012 R2. Sourcing data from SQL Server 2014 on the same server.

It asked me for the service PowerBI credentials, which I provided - success.
It then asked me for the Windows Authentication credentials - success.

When I go to the actual dataset in the service (Schedule Refresh), the gateway is missing.
The DIAHostService service is running in Local Services.

Any ideas why this isn't working in the PowerBI service?

Thanks,
Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @JasonCampbell,

Personal gateway also requires pro license. As stated in this article, the personal gateway is only available with Power BI Pro.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

It may take a little bit for the gateway to show up in the Service but if it has been more than an hour or so, you should be seeing it. Assuming that you used the same credentials for the Power BI Service configuration on the gateway as the credentials that you are logging into the Service in the browser. You might check with the firewall folks and see if there is something being blocked. Can't think of too many other reasons it wouldn't show up.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It didn't appear after an hour.

I logged in using the same PowerBI service credentials when doing the configuration that I used for logging into the browser.

I tried using Fiddler to see if there were any messaging failures from the server trying to communicate out, but nothing. Wouldn't a firewall block show up on Fiddler?

My Windows account is Domain\UserBob, and the service account is UserBob@Company.OnMicrosoft.com - this seems arbitrary, but I'm desperate.

Hi @JasonCampbell,

There are some proposals for your troubleshooting this issue.

1. Make sure you are using a Power BI Pro account rather than a free account because personal gateway requires pro license.
2. Make sure you download the latest version of personal gateway using the following entry and install it.
1.PNG
3. After I install gateway, I use a domain account domain\username to run the gateway Service,  the Service account of personal gateway is domain\username. In your scenario, please change the service account to other account which has the right of Log on as a service.
4. Open required ports mentioned in this article on your firewall.  

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft

1. I am using the free license, but it's my understanding that only the Enterprise Gateway requires Pro, but the Personal Gateway works with Free.
  2. Got the latest.
  3. I'll double check "log on as a service".
  4. I'll ask the network guys to open the listed ports.

Thanks. These are really good suggestions.

Jason

Hi @JasonCampbell,

Personal gateway also requires pro license. As stated in this article, the personal gateway is only available with Power BI Pro.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks, I see it. That's my problem

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors