Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Function Add column for each binary

I'm working on an agg table, and I need to add a column (from the binary) to the initial table.

I want to do it without doing all of the combining and expanding and all other transforms - just need the one column - which happens to be an extraction of characters from one field in the file.

Here is my initial table...

KimberlyF_0-1656021026421.png

and here is the drilldown of the binary to get to what I want...

Content = #"Removed Other Columns"{0}[Content],
#"Imported Text" = Table.FromColumns({Lines.FromBinary(Content,null,null,1252)}),
#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Imported Text", {{"Column1", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "|"), type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter",{{"Column1", "RecordType"}})

I beleive I can do a function to add this column for each of the binary.
Can anyone please provide the function to add column to my original table?

I'll then delete the binary column and do some aggregating.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Your idea is doable. You can create a blank query and paste below code into it. This query will become a custom function which has a parameter paraContent requiring a binary value. 

(paraContent as binary)=>
let
#"Imported Text" = Table.FromColumns({Lines.FromBinary(paraContent,null,null,1252)}),
#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Imported Text", {{"Column1", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "|"), type text}}),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter",{{"Column1", "RecordType"}})
in
#"Renamed Columns"

Then in the initial query, click "Invoke Custom Function" beneath Add Column tab. In Invoke Custom Function window, select above function and select Content column for the paraContent parameter. 

vjingzhang_0-1656401578697.png

In the new column, you will have a table value in each cell. This table value is the result of the custom function. 

vjingzhang_1-1656402062518.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-jingzhang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Your idea is doable. You can create a blank query and paste below code into it. This query will become a custom function which has a parameter paraContent requiring a binary value. 

(paraContent as binary)=>
let
#"Imported Text" = Table.FromColumns({Lines.FromBinary(paraContent,null,null,1252)}),
in
#"Renamed Columns"

Then in the initial query, click "Invoke Custom Function" beneath Add Column tab. In Invoke Custom Function window, select above function and select Content column for the paraContent parameter. 

vjingzhang_0-1656401578697.png

In the new column, you will have a table value in each cell. This table value is the result of the custom function. 

vjingzhang_1-1656402062518.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as Solution to help other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors