Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

youngstees
Frequent Visitor

Credentials are missing or not valid

Hello!

I've just installed the On-Premise gateway on my laptop for testing purposes and have added a SQL Server instance to the gateway.

Capture.PNG

All good so far, but when connecting to the source I get the error below:

Capture.PNG

So I have a domain account (Given by my organization, not AAD) and an on.microsoft account (Power BI Pro user). Shouldn't I be able to connect to the source when I have used the domain account credentials in the data source settings? Or do I have to link these accounts in some way? Or do I need to link the Power BI subscription to my domain account?

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Capture.PNG

Hi @youngstees,

Where did you connect to the source then the error threw out? In Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service?

If you set the dataset to use this data gateway to connect to the SQL Server database, the error shouldn't throw out, as data source connection is successful. If you connect to the SQL database in Power BI Desktop, it doesn't require data gateway. You need to verify if you use the Windows Authentication or SQL Authentication, with corresponding credential entered.

By the way, I don't suggest you use "." as server name in data gateway, please change it to actual server name. But make sure Server and database name match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the on-premises data gateway gateway.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Capture.PNG

Hi @youngstees,

Where did you connect to the source then the error threw out? In Power BI Desktop or Power BI Service?

If you set the dataset to use this data gateway to connect to the SQL Server database, the error shouldn't throw out, as data source connection is successful. If you connect to the SQL database in Power BI Desktop, it doesn't require data gateway. You need to verify if you use the Windows Authentication or SQL Authentication, with corresponding credential entered.

By the way, I don't suggest you use "." as server name in data gateway, please change it to actual server name. But make sure Server and database name match between Power BI Desktop and the data source within the on-premises data gateway gateway.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft

Thank you for your answer! Got it working, changing from "." to the actual server name did the trick.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors