Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cortana integration with Power BI does not work

Hi team,

I have enabled "Allow Cortana to access this dataset" to each of the report that I published on PowerBI.com (am the data owner of the files) and have also included work account under settings as stated in this link below. However, I do not see my report using Cortana and also tried to reboot my machine, waited for more than 24 hours still no luck 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-cortana-enable/

I also verified if I was using the right version of Windows 10 which is as listed, not sure what wrong am I doing here?

Edition: Windows 10 Enterprise

Version: 15.11

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Anand

9 REPLIES 9
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

I test the scenario and I am not able to use Cortana feature with Power BI following the instruction in this article. However,  if I create a custom answer Page for Cortana following the steps in this article, everything works well.

I got information internally that the capability of creating visuals using natural language within Cortana has been removed. We can create Cortana sized report pages and retrieve them through Cortana. In your scenario, please verify that if Cortana works as expected after you create custom answer Page for Cortana.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yuezhe-msftThanks for sharing the link below. However, I had already tried the same in my report by creating a page designed for cortana and keywords as required but still didn't help me. I also tried to create yet again today and it does not show up.

Even in the page to test if cortana integration is working, i didn't see anything happening.

Not sure what is wrong 😞

Kind regards,

Anand

Hi @Anonymous,

I test the Cortana on Win10 x64 version 1607, everythins works well. You can check the example in the following screenshot. Would you please share me your PBIX file which contains Cortana size page? Also how about restarting Cortana in your machine?
1.PNG2.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

As stated earlier, attached is a dummy file that I created today for sharing purposes. This is the dummy version of the file as I cannot share the actual file but i have used the same as the original file.

I hope you are able to download the file from the link below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwqXxSvYwRm8cXZzS2VXNngxOFk/view?usp=sharing

Kind regards,

Anand

Hi @Anonymous,

Have you tried my PBIX file? With your PBIX file, I cannot get Cortana to work, however, if I change the page name to "Cortana new page", Cortana works well. I suspect the issue is caused by  that you use reserved keyword "Cortana" as page name.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

I tried to rename the page name and tried but with no change in results i.e., I could have it working. In the earlier post of yours I could only access the screenshots but not the .pbix file to verify what am I doing incorrectly.

Kind regards,

Anand

Hi @Anonymous,

You can download my PBIX file from the following link.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhsotbnGu1Nogjk7TEDAnpGEldE9

Thanks,

Lydia Zhang

Any resolution or action items to help others struggling with hooking Cortana up to Power BI?

I tried setting it up on two different reports, then went to app.pwerbi.com/cortana/test to see if either of them worked. One did. WooHoo. One didn't. BooHoo. I don't know why one would work and one not.

Regardless, even the one that was working on the test still did not show up when I typed in the same interrogation phrase in my Desktop Cortana.

Scouring the forums, sites, etc. but finding no definitiev answers as to WHY or what to try next.

Frustrated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

Thank you once again for sharing the snapshots from your machine and also providing me ways to recheck the settings. I have tried to reset cortana and have tried to remove my office 365 account and connect it back but still there is no result as required.

Having said this, I will share you the file later today so that you can try at your end.

Kind regards,

Anand

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors