Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

julrua
Frequent Visitor

Avoid Helper Queries

Dear all, 

I did the following steps for 4 differents folder: 

1- Get data 

2- Folder 

3- Combine data 

Can I avoid to have several Helper Queries into Power Query Editor ? 

Thank you in advance. 

Helper Queries.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @julrua 

You are reading from folders, right? Add a custom column, then use Excel.Workbook or Csv.Document (or anything else, depending on your files in the folder) to avoid help queries, combine the tables in the custom column

Vera_33_0-1617067680285.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Hammerschmidt
Regular Visitor

Hi @Vera_33 

I have the same problem, however adding the custom column didn't solve the problem.

I leave the folder that I am trying to carry out the queries: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/10RNAAKY2IQJbcHzocw58rBHOtNFyqLij

Example of what the reading looks like after adding the custom column: 

error.png

thank you very much for your attention 🙂

edhans
Super User
Super User

Not without 100% manually doing the combine operation yourself with manual code.

Those were introduced about 3 years ago to make the combining of files more robust and flexible. There is a full overview here.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting
Vera_33
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @julrua 

You are reading from folders, right? Add a custom column, then use Excel.Workbook or Csv.Document (or anything else, depending on your files in the folder) to avoid help queries, combine the tables in the custom column

Vera_33_0-1617067680285.png

Hi @Vera_33 I had the same problem with @julrua and did your recommended action to no avail. The custom column was showing an error. Is there any other way to solve this? Thanks 🙂

Hi @ronaldbalza2023 

what kind of error you came across? what type of files in the folder you wanted to combine? with the same header?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors