Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Atinder
Helper III
Helper III

Auto Refresh Powerbi data in Powerpoint

Hello, 

I Embed live data from powerbi to Powerpoint powerbi Add-ins.  How can I set this on auto referesh? 

I created this data so our team can see these reports on the TV throughout the day . I want this to be refresh as soon as report is refereshed. how can I do this? 

Atinder_0-1660850574146.png

13 REPLIES 13
mohammadyousaf
Helper III
Helper III

same is happening with me, I have to reimbed all graphs into powerpoint, some are getting refreshed and some not at all. I need to do this every month for a monthly report. 

kylesmyle
Frequent Visitor

Depending on what your setup is like, this can be done using two programs. A macro app and the Task Scheduler app in Windows.

PowerBi data will refresh when you reopen power point, so you can make a macro that opens PP and then presses F5 to run slideshow. You then use Task Scheduler to open your macro file exe on a schedule. You would also have to make a macro that closes PP too (Alt-F4).  A variation of these could help you

pay_2019
Frequent Visitor

We used a macro program called Tiny Task, but Power Automate would also give you the ability to set a restart process in place.

Currently we have moved away from using the Powerpoint option for a screen show, and now we are using Vue Pilot instead. If they can fix the issue on Power BI we may switch back to this option.

icretu

Hi!

This thread is dead? 

Has anyone figured out if the powerpoint slides can be updated every few hours or when the page reloads? I need to run this presentation in loop forever with 6-10 slides with a power BI report on each slide.

pay_2019
Frequent Visitor

I also want to be able to display a rolling Powerpoint presentation on TV screens which will loop in the office and show the KPI data for the business, unfortunately once you set it rolling on a continous loop it no longer updates the data which is being refreshed on Power BI, so not much use for presenting latest data on screens.

Anyone any other ideas on what can be used for presenting multiple reports on a screen? I have tried using Dashboard Rotator without success as well.

Daryl-Lynch-Bzy
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Atinder -  What make you think that the data is not being refreshed?   Are you using the new Power BI PowerPoint feature (Add a live Power BI report page to PowerPoint - Power BI | Microsoft Docs).  Since you are embedding an Live tile in PowerPoint, it will be refreshed when the PowerPoint is opened with the new data and with any changes made to the report page.    If the page in PowerPoint is not refreshing there is button in PowerPoint to refresh the report.  View and present live Power BI report pages in PowerPoint - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

It does that but everytime I have opena nd close. I have 22 slides in the powerpoint but I can't do slide show it just stuck at slide one and white out. 

Hi @Atinder - if you have a Power BI Report which contains 22 pages and you want to include each page in the PowerPoint presentation, you need to embed the link for each page separately.   Embed Power BI in PowerPoint interactive - YouTube

Note Microsoft did not included a page navigator in their new add-in (suggest this at PowerBI Ideas).  I suspect they did this because they did not antipate you using PowerPoint to present too many pages  (death by PowerPoint? or just share the Power BI report or share as PDF). 

If you prefer to insert one slide and then navigate within this single slide, you can consider adding a Page Navigator (Create page and bookmark navigators - Power BI | Microsoft Docs) to each page in the Power BI report, or a next and back buttons to each.

I need to run this presentation in loop forever with 6-10 slides with a power BI report on each slide. Not to restart the presentation. Autorefresh will be good. Manual refresh... doesn't realy help.

Hi @Daryl-Lynch-Bzy I embed link for each page but as soon as I hit slide after 1 slide Powerpoint crash or whiteout.

I didn't start this thread, but one scenario I personally would like to have some kind of auto refresh setting is if the presentation is looping on a big info screen in the office, or similar. It would be great to be able to make it update every few hours or so by itself.

I am still having problems with the slideshow on loop, which does not autorefresh. But as it does refresh on opening I have decided to use a separate macro program to close the slideshow and reload the data then start the slideshow again. I think this is the only option we have now.

Just one other point, dates on the slideshow are coming out in US format as a standard, when I want it to display in UK format, any suggestions on this?

Thanks for this!  I also assumed a separate macro would be the only method of prompting the embedded BI report to auto refresh.  

Do you mind sharing what macro program you used to accomplish this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.