Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jup
Frequent Visitor

Workaround multiple selection getting problem (sharepoint list)

hello,

I'm looking for a workaround for this problem:

I have a sharepoint list with some columns with a multiple selection. Power Bi converts it by Tables.

Example with "Versions" (standard sharepoint column!):

2018-01-13_20-40-31.png

When I click on I get this error:

2018-01-13_20-41-57.png

If I use the link I obtain:

2018-01-13_20-43-15.png 

Any solution?

Thanks in advance,

Julien

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jup,

>>I'm ok with that (it looks like a classical relationnal database) but is it compatible with powerapp? Powerapp can manage multiform/multilist implementation?

Actually, power bi not support M:M relationships, you need to add one bridge table to link them.

In my opinion, power bi will auto combine all column form sharepoint list. Since it is hard to deal with multiple type at same, I'm split them to different table with key column as link relationship.

After expand these columns, it will similar as normal relationship databsae.(I think it is more simply than use complex table to create visualizations)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jup,

Current I haven't found a effective method to solve multiple type convert issue.

For my opinion, I will use one column as primary key and split current table to multiple tables with key column and other type columns. Then expand different type columns and try to convert them to table.

BTW, I don't think you can direct expand all table columns.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thanks for you answer. I missed that my multi selection column is a lookup.

So if I understood correctly I have to add a third list between them? In this one I will use first table primary keys and second table informations.

I'm ok with that (it looks like a classical relationnal database) but is it compatible with powerapp? Powerapp can manage multiform/multilist implementation?

I think yes (basic software like access can do it) but I prefer asking 🙂

Have a nice day

Julien

Hi @jup,

>>I'm ok with that (it looks like a classical relationnal database) but is it compatible with powerapp? Powerapp can manage multiform/multilist implementation?

Actually, power bi not support M:M relationships, you need to add one bridge table to link them.

In my opinion, power bi will auto combine all column form sharepoint list. Since it is hard to deal with multiple type at same, I'm split them to different table with key column as link relationship.

After expand these columns, it will similar as normal relationship databsae.(I think it is more simply than use complex table to create visualizations)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Thanks again, I will try !

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.