Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

desertislesql
Helper III
Helper III

Waterfall report starting value

I am looking for a waterfall report to look exactly like this Office 365 page. http://bit.ly/1MQVmJb  I want to have a starting value of budgeted value, chart the variances and end up with the actual value. I don't see how to do the same thing in Power BI as I can't figure out how to start say with Budget and get the variances displayed to end with Actuals.  Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Ginger

7 REPLIES 7
klabir
Helper V
Helper V

Hello @desertislesql

have a look and download our PowerBI Ultimate Waterfall Chart which follows somehow IBCS

http://dataviz.boutique/2017/03/22/powerbi-ultimate-waterfall-custom-visual/

BR

Klaus

M8.PNG

Yeah @klabir, thats great and all, but with 500+ users i end up paying tweny kazillion euros.

Not an option.

no, contact me for unlimted use in your enterprise, its cheap, i promise. leave your email in one of our contact form on our website to getin touch.

THX

Klaus

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Yeah, the issue that I see is that there is no way to set individual data values as "totals", which baseline to 0 instead of "floating". I can't see a way around that at present.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

That's bad news.  I was hoping that I was just missing something.  It strikes me as odd that I could do what I want in Excel 2016 and not Power BI.

You can achieve it by data modelling (see this file).

Only thing I couldn't figure out is how to give the first column a different colour. Watch out for the sort-by-index column!

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

I like it in that you have created a work around. I don't like that MS still haven't made it easier all these years later, even though it's easy in Excel. Good work by you though 👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors