Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

NikkiG12
Frequent Visitor

Table Help

Hopefully this is in the right place for this question. 

For the report I am creating, I want to use a table to do the following function:  collapse all columns so only the totals appear but the user can open up the table as needed. Is this even possible to do? 

I was thinking this might be done with a Matrix but not sure if I can collaspe the columns but the fields would be:

Rows: Vendor
Column: Product
Values: # of customers, # of purchased product, total $ of purchased, avg $ of purchased

Any ideas?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NikkiG12 sure you can have value as "Vendor" and "Product" for the dummy columns. 

Can you share the screenshot of how you are using these columns?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NikkiG12 for columns, make sure the drill on is changed to columns

parry2k_0-1701374500568.png

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NikkiG12 If you have no hierarchy on rows then by default it will be columns, but if you have both, I don't think you can set anything default then the user has to chose.

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NikkiG12 If you have no hierarchy on rows then by default it will be columns, but if you have both, I don't think you can set anything default then the user has to chose.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NikkiG12 for columns, make sure the drill on is changed to columns

parry2k_0-1701374500568.png

You are amazing! That worked for me. 

Final question, how to I ensure columns stays as the drill on so my users don't have to keep switching? If thats not possible thats fine. 

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NikkiG12 sure you can have value as "Vendor" and "Product" for the dummy columns. 

Can you share the screenshot of how you are using these columns?

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@NikkiG12 create a dummy column in your table, one for the rows and one for columns and in the matrix visual, use this dummy column before vendor and similarly use the dummy column above columns. It will create a hierarchy and by default, everything will be collapsed.

Thanks for the quick reply @parry2k.

I just gave it a try so made a dummy row = 0 and dummy column  = 0, I see how it works for rows, but it doesn't seem to let me expand the columns to show the products. Are you able to show how this would work a bit more? I appreicate your time. 

Also silly question here, if I wanted to do row_dummy = Vendor will that work?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.