Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

RL1
Frequent Visitor

Split column based on text and numerical characters

Hi,

I'm trying to split a column that contains text and number components into two seperate columns, one containing the text characters and another containing the numbers. 

i.e. I want to go from the single column:

AB143

A122

VHG309

X12

XX13

to two columns containing:

AB                   143

A                     122

VHG                309

X                     12

XX                   13

Is this possible within Power BI?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Instead I would propose Text.PositionOfAny as illustrated in this video.

Relevant parts of the code generated during video recording ("PreviousStep" is the name of your previous step):

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1],{"0".."9"})),
    #"Inserted First Characters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "First Characters", each Text.Start([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Inserted Text Range" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted First Characters", "Text Range", each Text.Middle([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Text Range",{"Column1", "Custom"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Text Range", "Number"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Number", Int64.Type}})
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You could potentially use PostionOfAny function:

List.PositionOfAny("ABCBA", {"A","B"}, Occurrence.All) equals {0,1,3,4}  

You would probably have to use an M custom function or another function to return the lowest value in the list and then feed that to a Split.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Instead I would propose Text.PositionOfAny as illustrated in this video.

Relevant parts of the code generated during video recording ("PreviousStep" is the name of your previous step):

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(PreviousStep, "Custom", each Text.PositionOfAny([Column1],{"0".."9"})),
    #"Inserted First Characters" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "First Characters", each Text.Start([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Inserted Text Range" = Table.AddColumn(#"Inserted First Characters", "Text Range", each Text.Middle([Column1], [Custom]), type text),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Text Range",{"Column1", "Custom"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Text Range", "Number"}}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"Number", Int64.Type}})
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

That works well (& video was very helpful).

Thanks.

If you could get your cell addresses as $A$1 rather that A1, you could simply split columns based on the delimiter $.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.