Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RosieL
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Share your thoughts on the new On-Object Interaction feature (preview)

Hit Reply to tell us what you think about the new On-Object Interaction feature so we can continue to improve.

For example:

• What changes would you like to see?
  • If you turned off the preview switch, why?
  • Any suggestions for addititional settings or capabilities?

Thanks,

-Power BI team

To read more about the feature, see the announcement in the Power BI Product Blog or our documentation on how to Use on-object interaction

FAQs:

• Q: How can I open multiple panes at once?
    • A: You can CTRL + click or right click on the unselected pane you wish to open and choose "Open in new pane"
  • Q: Where did aggregations move to?
    • A: It's still on right click of a field, or you can use the new flyout aggregations dropdown while choosing or swapping a field.
  • Q: Where did drillthrough and tooltip page setup move to?
    • A: Drillthrough is now in the page settings of the format pane under Page Information > Page type > Drillthrough or Tooltip.
827 REPLIES 827

You have to set that up within the page info section, see the following link:

Solved: Preview - On-object interaction: Where's the Drill... - Microsoft Power BI Community

VanessaWilson
Regular Visitor

Please allow for widening of the Build a visual box so we can read longer field names without hovering over them.

Also, please make it easier to change the order of fields in a visual. It appears the drag and drop function is is only available once we turn off the 'Suggest a type' toggle... This is not at all intuitive.

Thanks. 

Hi VanessaWilson,

Thanks for the feedback. The ability to resize the menus that is also accessible is something we are looking into now. TBD on the release though

The "Suggest a type" feature looks at the data that you have added and doesn't take into consideration the order, so reorder fields wouldn't affect the visual. This feature is optional if it isn't helpful for you. If you open the Options dialog and look under Global Report settings, you can uncheck "Suggest a type by default". Then you will be able to select your visual type and reorder like you would previously

Janos
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have turned off the preview of this feature. What I found most frustrating is the difficulty of managing the data fields / measures on visuals like matrix or table view. It is not friendly, difficult to make changes. Instead of a single smooth drag-and-drop, not I need to click, scroll, click and then drag-and-drop. 

Sure I could just check the checkbox in the data pane, but it seems to put the field on the wrong axis (or column vs row) most of the time, so I still have to go through the above process to fix it. Even if it works, the above process is still required to change the ordering of items. 

Hi Janos,

Thank you. I completely understand the feedback you are sharing. We are looking into making the menus more dynamic so they better utilize the available space to reduce scrolling. This should allow you to just use drag and drop. It is TBD for when this will be available

enb080

I think this was overlooked. There is no need for hidden tables to be visible here.
enb080_0-1682970873547.png

Hi enb080,

Thanks for the feedback. At the moment the View hidden option is synced from the Data pane. Would you need these options to not be synced in this case? Could you tell me a little bit more about why you would need this?

EwanT_0-1685678488415.png

ZackWarrenVI
Regular Visitor

I might have missed it, but while working with some maps, I found myself wondering which map type I had selected.  Normally, I'd be able to get a visual indicator of that (without clicks) by looking under the Visualizations pane, on the "Add data to your visual" tab.  I couldn't easily find a visual clue like that.  Maybe you could do that in the ribbon similar to how Excel has a visual indicator when the "Chart Design" main tab is enabled.

Overall, I like the direction this is going, but it needs a lot of public preview time.  I'll try to submit more concrete feedback as I have time.

I agree. The selection is way too subtle even in the non-preview version. I regularly stare at the screen 5-15 seconds trying to figure out which one is selected.

Here's an example of how subtle the selection is:

Rudz_0-1683221043086.png

Suggestion - Make the square bigger and a color distinct from the icons. I like Power BI Yellow here. It jumps out:

Rudz_1-1683221074684.png

If you have to use Power BI Teal, how about this? 

Rudz_2-1683221298675.png

Even just a larger black square would help immensely!

peterg0417
Helper II
Helper II

I tried it for about an hour. It just doesn't feel intuitive or organized. 

As the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

This imo is a completely unnecessary change and just causes more friction when working with reports and visuals.

Hi peterg0417, 

Even an hour of testing time is appreciated by the team.  

There is a lot of functionality that came with this preview. So, we can better categorize your feedback within the team, can you let us know which areas are causing the friction for you?  

This way if you do like something about formatting, but you really do not like the build menu moving to the side of the visuals we can address the specifics. This is just an example. It could be any of the areas you are/are not liking. 

Thank you  

huffd
Frequent Visitor

I tried it since its release but have since turned it off.  i like the idea, but as implemented it simply isnt working well for me.  I found it annoying not only because it increased development time but also because the screen overlays, like those circled in red below, interfere with other objects the most notable of which is the editor pane.    

huffd_0-1682686083921.png

Hi Huffd, 

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into ways to cut increased development time across the board.  If you want to highlight any specific scenarios where your development time is increasing, please tell us. This is always helpful when we prioritize what order we work on updates. Please stay tuned for our June update and later updates as we are incorporating feedback to help in this area. 

We have a bug right now where the overlays are showing above specific surfaces. We are working on a fix for that. Our bug mentions the formula bar and the file menu presently. 

Can you let me know which pane you mean by editor pane? I want to make sure this bug is fixed if we have missed a surface. Thank you 

Takes a bit to get used but I've started to like this feature. One enhancement that I feel would improve the experience is the ability to filter in the "Build a Visual" pane or whatever you call it. That way the Filters pane that's still needed can be minimized. Still would be needed for Page and Report filters but the specific visualization filters can be eliminated.

One option that would be nice is if when you click on a field in the On-Object Interaction, you were shown the data in that attribute and could create the filters there rather than having to navigate to another part of the canvas.

Luggruff
Frequent Visitor

Trying to turn this off, but nothing happens. Tried:

• Turning it off with a visual selected, saving the report and reopening it
  • Turning it off without any visual selected, saving the report and reopening it
  • Opening a blank report and turning it off and restarting the program

Please advise how I can remove this feature! Not being able to drag and drop fields but having to select them on the visual itself is messing with my workflow.

You can turn off the preview from the File > Options and settings > Options > Preview features and uncheck "On-object interaction." 

Are you saying the preview switch reflects unchecked (off) and it's still on for you?

Hi, yes. Is there another way to turn it off? I have done exactly that for all three scenarios. I have now also done it trying to close the program by ending the task in task manager to make sure it does not "revert" somehow because of seeing visuals with the feature before closing the program. In all of the scenarios, I unchecked that box and clicked OK. Clicking OK just keeps the options open (I take it that it is not supposed to - but rather close). Also tried other settings, and since that update, I cannot change a single setting (none) in my Power BI Desktop application - nothing sticks.

Still no luck.

iBusinessBI
Kudo Collector
Kudo Collector

We need the fixed data fields pane back. The new feature takes way more time to locate the place to drop fields.
In the old, fixed pane - muscle memory does the trick. Please make it an option

Hi iBusinessBI,

Thanks for the feedback. A solution for fixed data fields pane is coming soon. Please stay tuned for our June update

Phil_P_Benesys

I turned it off. You never know where it is going to appear. Top right outside, top right inside, top left, and will it blend in with the other visuals...

Hi Phil_P_Benesys,

We're working on a solution for this. Please stay tuned for our June update.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.