Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Michael1
Helper II
Helper II

Scatter Plot Aggregating X and Y

Hello Power BI Friends,

I am creating a Scatter Plot where the X-Axis and the Y-Axis are both two whole numbers in related tables.  The details are a key coming from one of the tables.

However, Power BI is forcing me to summarize my X- and Y- axes and therefore, my points are not plotting as they would for a simple scatter plot.

Scatterplot Question.png

Any suggestions are welcome!

Thank you,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Micheal

You can use R script to get a scatter chart with non aggregated values. The script is simple.

You should create your dataset by dragging the fields into the values area and write the below script.

plot(dataset$SGPScore, dataset$SGPSTARRdg, xlab=”SGP Score”, ylab=”SGPSTARRdg”, xlim=c(0,300), ylim=c(0,300), main=”SGP Score Vs SGPSTARRdg”, pch=2, cex.main=1.5, frame.plot=FALSE, col=”green”)

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Micheal

You can use R script to get a scatter chart with non aggregated values. The script is simple.

You should create your dataset by dragging the fields into the values area and write the below script.

plot(dataset$SGPScore, dataset$SGPSTARRdg, xlab=”SGP Score”, ylab=”SGPSTARRdg”, xlim=c(0,300), ylim=c(0,300), main=”SGP Score Vs SGPSTARRdg”, pch=2, cex.main=1.5, frame.plot=FALSE, col=”green”)

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi Bhavesh,

Thank you so much for your reply.  I attempted running this R script, but receive the error below. 

I'd appreciate any assistance with this, as I have very little experience with R.

Michael

R Script Error.png

Hi Bhavesh,

I was able to write my first R Script.  Thank you for your help.

I used: 

plot(dataset$SGPScore, dataset$CurrentSGPSTARRdg, xlab="SGPScore", ylab="CurrentSGPSTARRdg", main="SGP Score Vs CurrentSGPSTARRdg", pch=2, cex.main=1.5, frame.plot=FALSE, col="green")

Is there a way to have this visual interact with others, where I can click on a datapoint and then use thta to filter on a table?

Thanks!

Michael

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scatter plots on Power BI require a measure on each axis - you can't use just columns.  Workarounds are discussed in this thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Scatter-plot-summarizing-data/td-p/37229

You can vote to have this issue addressed on this idea, and maybe others: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/9784617-ability-to-put-categorica...

Steve,

Thank you for your reply.  I have voted on the forum.

Michael

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.