Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

IHam
Helper III
Helper III

RLS issue

I have a power bi report where employees are allocated to departments. So Mrs Smith is allocated to Science. The head of Science is then given access to all the science data. However, Mrs Smith is also in senior management and needs acees to everything.

In the security section on power bi pro, I allocate Mrs Smith to the permissions for all the departments. 

This used to work and now doesn't (the update was a while ago). Can anyone offer a workaround?

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@IHam , refer this code , This allowing one email to have all access, another email to in file having all values

[email] = userprincipalname() || userprincipalname() = "d@ymail.com" || userprincipalname() in summarize(filter('Brand Sec', 'Brand Sec'[Brand] = "All") , [email])

this is rls table data filter item table on brand

amitchandak_0-1677815252376.png

amitchandak_1-1677815306973.png

How to use Row Level Security (RLS): https://youtu.be/NfdIA0uS6Nk

I have looked at the work around but I don't use dynamic email based on email addresses. I allocate staff into departments and then use the manage roles to filter the key table by department. When these are uploaded to the cloud, I then allocate the head of a department to have RLS access to the departments. 

This is where the issue is as I allocate the senior member to all teams and it doesn't work.

I can allocate the senior member to all departments within power bi desktop but then their data is available to all and not just to the department that they belong to. 

Hopefully thats clear!

Many thanks for your time on this - I think I understand. Will give it a go and let you know.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

July 2024 Power BI Update

Power BI Monthly Update - July 2024

Check out the July 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

July Newsletter

Fabric Community Update - July 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.