Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

StillLearning1
Frequent Visitor

Pulling data from API - "A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided"

HI,

I'm trying to use an API to pull data into Power BI. I tested the call in Postman and it works, but in Power BI I can't even authenticate it. I get "A web API key can only be specified when a web API key name is provided". 

I do have a token with a key, secret, and authorization, but not of those codes work (I'm not too familiar with APIs). Can anyone assist with this error?

StillLearning1_0-1670441573378.png

My process is:

1. 1. Get Data from web.
  2. Enter the API call as the URL (https://rsu.bridgeapp.com/api/author/users) the same one that works in Postman
  3. Then I'm stuck at the authentication screen
  4. StillLearning1_1-1670441815978.png

1 REPLY 1
Bifinity_75
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @StillLearning1 , how did you enter the token in the query?.
I leave you an example of how APIS queries are made with headers and body:

= let
url = "http://..........",
body = "{""date_from"": ""2020-07-05"",""date_to"": ""2025-12-31"",
    ""utility_ids"": [""61978731d6188e1511a401cd""]}",
Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url,[ 
Headers = [#"Content-Type"="application/json", Authorization ="Token ........................"],
Content = Text.ToBinary(body) 
] 
))
in
Source

And check in Power bi desktop, in options, the data source configuration (edit permissions), is correct:

Bifinity_75_0-1670443372602.png

Bifinity_75_1-1670443451926.png

Best regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.