Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarkJF
Frequent Visitor

Programmatically change the case of headers (from a csv file)

Hi

I created a detailed report Report with data from csv files, and the Promoted Headers function provided me with headers all in lower case.

I now need to change the Source of the files, and the new files all have the Headers names in UPPer case; is there a way to select the first row of the imported table and convert it to Upper case before the Promoted Headers command?

Maybe using Table.SelectRows or similar commands?

Thanks

Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Or just change the column headers:

let
    Source = #table(2,{{1,2}}),
    HeadersUpperCase = Table.TransformColumnNames(Source,Text.Upper)
in
    HeadersUpperCase
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
pawel1
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi,

maybe there is another way, but I would do it in the 3 simple steps:

1. Transpose columns/rows

2. Format items in the headers column to Upper Case

3. Transpose back columns/rows

1. Transpose column to rows1. Transpose column to rows2. Format items in 'header' column to UPPer Case2. Format items in 'header' column to UPPer Case3. Transpose back rows to columns3. Transpose back rows to columns

Or just change the column headers:

let
    Source = #table(2,{{1,2}}),
    HeadersUpperCase = Table.TransformColumnNames(Source,Text.Upper)
in
    HeadersUpperCase
Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

Thanks, now I can see the function Table.TransformColumnNames it all makes sense!

(I think the transpose method might work as well, but my table has thousands of rows which might be an issue.)

regards

Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

How would you apply to this to all the data vs the headers?  I want it to make all the text in a table uppercase, but the number of columns change / are not consistent.

When I try to apply the same concept to the Table.TransformColumns it gives me an "Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type Function to type Text."

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.