Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daverothwell

MySQL Connector Not Working

Hi All,

I'm having a very similar issue to what was detailed here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Cannot-connect-to-local-MySQL-database/m-p/206937#M91169 

Only that was 5 years ago with much older versions of everything.

I'm trying to get setup on a new machine and am unable to initiate a conneciton to MySQL.

Power BI Desktop: Version: 2.104.941.0 64-bit (April 2022)

I've installed:

mysql-connector-net-8.0.29.msi   (seems there's only a 32bit version available for this)

mysql-connector-odbc-8.0.29-winx64.msi

mysql-connector-odbc-8.0.29-win32.msi

and keep getting the error below when trying to add a MySQL data source (before even entering any specific server info):daverothwell_0-1651186844952.png

I have MySQL Workbench and am able to connect to my target server with no issue. I tried uninstalling the 64bit version of the desktop app and using 32bit instead but it didn't make a difference.

Is there something else I'm missing??

Any suggestions much appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed MySQL server v8.0.16 and connector v8.0.16 and it worked. I guess it is worth trying. Good luck! 

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

Thank you, the same version worked for me (8.0.32). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 8.0.16 version worked like a charm for me.

@daverothwell I installed MySQL Connector version 8.0.16 that you reccommended https://downloads.mysql.com/archives/get/p/6/file/mysql-connector-net-8.0.16.msi.

Anyhow, I am not sure what caused a trigger of this software keep changing back to newer version of 8.0.29 by itself, without me uninstall the older version of 8.0.16

Do you or other users experience this same issue? Please advise.

Thank you daverrothwell. This older version works for me.

NatashaT
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue since yesterday. I got MySQL Connector Net 8.0.29 installed but I still cannot connect in Power BI. Do you still experience the same issue today?

Not sure if this will help, but it worked for me.
After installing the connector, I still got an error when trying to choose "MySQL" as the data source. Instead choosing "ODBC" (the connector itself? I don't know) is what worked as expected.

I'm having the same issue, I tried down-grading to v. 8.0.18 but still get the same error - anyone got a fix?

I had this issue in May and I tried download different verison of MySQL but there's nothing work until someone suggested about version 8.0.16 and it works

Hi!!!! How can I do the installation if in the download of the version I can not find an installer program?

I am using MySQL Connector NET 8.0.32 https://downloads.mysql.com/archives/c-net/ at the moment and everything works fine.

YEEEESSSSSS!!!!!  it´s the solution.   Thanks a lot!!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.