Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

daverothwell

MySQL Connector Not Working

Hi All,

I'm having a very similar issue to what was detailed here https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Cannot-connect-to-local-MySQL-database/m-p/206937#M91169 

Only that was 5 years ago with much older versions of everything.

I'm trying to get setup on a new machine and am unable to initiate a conneciton to MySQL.

Power BI Desktop: Version: 2.104.941.0 64-bit (April 2022)

I've installed:

mysql-connector-net-8.0.29.msi   (seems there's only a 32bit version available for this)

mysql-connector-odbc-8.0.29-winx64.msi

mysql-connector-odbc-8.0.29-win32.msi

and keep getting the error below when trying to add a MySQL data source (before even entering any specific server info):daverothwell_0-1651186844952.png

I have MySQL Workbench and am able to connect to my target server with no issue. I tried uninstalling the 64bit version of the desktop app and using 32bit instead but it didn't make a difference.

Is there something else I'm missing??

Any suggestions much appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed MySQL server v8.0.16 and connector v8.0.16 and it worked. I guess it is worth trying. Good luck! 

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
AlefSantos

I downloaded mysql-connector-net connector version 8.0.27 and it worked perfectly for me on 8/3/2023, I use windows 11

AlefSantos_0-1691116295784.png

Thanks very much. I had this problem with version 8.1.0, but after removing it and installing version 8.0.27 I was able to connect (10 August 2023).

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

If the MySQL version v8.0.16 worked for me, today I am dated 07/19/2023

nicopelletier39

nicopelletier39_0-1686333556872.png

It doesn't work for me as well for the version mentioned upper (and Connector/NET 8.0.33 as well)

The solution mention upper to downgrade to the 8.0.16 version (Connector/NET) works for me (Exit Power BI application, remove old installation of old connectors, install the 8.0.16 version, and then reopen the Power BI desktop solution and it should work).

The version 8.0.32 works for me as well (by following the same step as above (exit the Power BI Desktop app, install the 8.0.32 version, and then reopen the Power BI desktop solution and it should work as well)

MYSQL CONNECTOR VERSION 8.0.16 WAS WORKED PERFECTLY.
not sure whats going wrong with the latest version. wasted too many hours to figure out this issue.

The version 8.0.32 works fine for me at the moment.

eliamartali

So I tried everything and finally it worked.

1) Remove everything related to power bi and mysql/connector using control panel

2) Go to registry editor-Software-WOW6432Node and remove MySQL, MYSQL  AB
3) Go to registry editor-Software remove ODBC
4) Go to registry editor-Software remove MySQL AB
5) Locate MySQL folder and remove all its contents (if exist)
6) Remove cache data from %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop

7) now restart computer. Install 8.016 server and ODBC and NET connector for your arcchitecture
😎 restart computer. Install Power bi desktop

Hopefully helps

eliamartali

I tried everything. This is ridiculous.

I end up with seting up data pipiline with a python connector connecting to the mysql database and retreiving data as csv file

then I will connect that csv file to the power bi...

Thanks Microsoft 👍

anvesj1212

currently 8.0.31 is only working. Latest version is not working for POWER BI. 

Trust me. This will save you a ton of time. 

ToddChitt
Super User
Super User

Version 8.0.32 (latest as of this writing) worked for me, whereas all previous menioned here did not. Go figure

DataSafr
Regular Visitor

Just yous version mysql both 8.0.16 

DataSafr_0-1673377192576.png

DataSafr_1-1673377200528.png

MarcusR1
Helper I
Helper I

UPDATE: I went to install MySQL Community on a fresh device and the dialogue box came up with a mandatory upgrade : Connector/NET 8.0.31 (Upgrading Connector/NET 8.0.16)  - see attached. So maybe this is a fix from MS/Oracle? it would be nice to know so that we can all use the latest version - MS/Oracle are you there? can you respond?
2022-12-20-Connector-ticket.png

sweetstar
Advocate I
Advocate I

Why the hell does MS keep developing software like this for decades?

sherbert

Hey I'm on Windows 11. I had the same issue with MySQL Connector Net 8.0.29. My fix was uninstall MySQL Connector Net 8.0.29. Then I installed an older version. MySQL Connector Net 8.0.23 to be specific. Seems like bug with version 8.0.29. On the download page click Archives tab to try an older version.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I installed MySQL server v8.0.16 and connector v8.0.16 and it worked. I guess it is worth trying. Good luck! 

I worked for me after wasting a lot of time in trying other versions and x64 versions. v8.0.16 worked.

Thanks.

Thank you! This worked for me. Kind of unbelievable that newer versions of the connector fail at their main reason for existing.

@Anonymous Could you please pass me the link of what you just installed? Thank you

try this:

https://downloads.mysql.com/archives/get/p/6/file/mysql-connector-net-8.0.16.msi

Otherwise just go to the main page (https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/8.0.html) and click on Archives at the top and you can search for the older version.

Thank you.

I installed 8.0.32 and it's working for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.